Suspected Coccidiosis need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amanda1, Oct 14, 2019.

1. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    My 8 month old hen started having the runs on Thursday. Friday there was blood in her poop and she was drinking an excessive amount of water. Saturday even more blood, so I started Corrid. Sunday no more blood, but still drinking a lot, and her poop is just mostly water. She stopped eating, but is still drinking a lot of water and having the runs. Her crop is soft and squishy. We have confirmed we have no worms with a vet, so it’s not that. I just want to save her but I don’t know what to do for her.

glassdragonfly and Jac Jac like this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Most vets will also check for coccidia load at the same time. Can you call and ask if that was included and also ruled out?

This sounds much more like blocked crop than coccidiosis... which usually causes going OFF food AND water. Or maybe a blockage somewhere else? Blocked crops will often be heavy drinkers... and the excess water adds to the loose stools.

Treating with Corid won't hurt. But should not supplement vitamins during treatment.

:fl

3. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    The work check was done via necropsy on a different bird that died of a genetic issue. I’d also taken a sample to the vet for a fecal float. I’m just about done with our local avian vets. Three out of three were misdiagnosed, so I’m relying on experienced chicken owners for help.

4. Jac Jac

Jac Jac Songster

May 6, 2019
    Chatham county, GA
    I'm with you on the blockage/fecal impaction/obstruction route, which allows the loose stool to bypass a solid mass. Thankfully I haven't had it in my flock yet, just humans.... so I'll be researching right along with more experienced BYC family and reading to be prepared. Our gang of Cluckers and Quackers most likely have an answer for you and me.

5. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    My suspicion is she isn’t eating because she feels badly. I’m trying to find out how long after treatment starts that they start to feel better. Also, wondering if she needs antibiotics or maybe sour crop. I’m so upset, I’ve lost so many this year, all from different things, but I’m starting to believe that once they get sick, no amount of intervention is going to save them.

glassdragonfly and Sequel like this.
  6. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Corrid dosage.jpeg it took my pullets that were worse off 2-3 days of treatment use the sever outbreak dosage and follow follow through 5-7 then on a preventative dosage for another 5-7. You can also entice her with like Scrambled egg, after treatment is finished then give her some vitamins. Here is Wyorp Rock recommendation for the 20%

Mine loved a bit of coconut oil and minced garlic to eat to get them to start eating, what ever gets her to

The worst off ones were also being treated for Worm overload with Valnbazen which could cause a lot of same issues your seeing

7. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    We definitely don’t have worms. Necropsy done on one a couple of weeks ago confirmed no worms. I am using the 2 ts per gallon.but I wasn’t sure how long, so this was very helpful. Thank you.

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I know it can be very frustrating! :barnie

Part of the issue is with chickens so many things can throw the same symptom... and we try to rule out the most obvious... and that is heavily influenced by our personal and maybe even recent experiences. I value my vet and his experience greatly... but there is something to be said for the many heads that come together here to share our wide array of different and many unexpected situations and solutions.

Sorry for asking.. but what did your necropsy find and was it done by your local vet or state vet? Would you mind sharing the report as we are all learning how to interpret and such... also how much did that cost you? Sorry again, it sounds like you have really been through the wringer. :hugs

9. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    I will try to post the report, but not sure if it will work. We have awful internet service here! And, no problem asking, I feel it’s important to share this stuff so we can all learn more! That’s one reason I get the necropsies done.

I took her to a new avian vet today and felt she got good care. She had a fever of 108. The vet gave her one dose of an anti inflammatory and a weeks worth of antibiotics. It’s possible she may have kidney damage from when she was hatched, and spent 3.5 days in transit without food or water, but the tests are close to $200 so we decided to start with the antibiotics and see how that goes. The vet recommended I stop dosing with Corid as there is no proof it was coccidiosis, and she also felt she was getting more than the recommended amount since she was drinking about two cups of water per day.

Please let me know where you think I should try to post the necropsy report. It really doesn’t apply on this post since it was a completely unrelated issue with my last hen.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Post your necropsy report here on this thread please.

I agree, the crop being squishy and her drinking a lot of water, I would lean toward crop issues as well.
    Is she pooping at all?
    Read to following article to help you determine which crop issue it might be. Likely a sour crop, but hard to know unless you investigate it. Keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

penny1960 and EggSighted4Life like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: