Suspected coccidiosis

mseely

Songster
6 Years
Jun 9, 2017
I have 5, 6 week old chicks, and 3 full grown layers. I've been noticing blood in their feces, I first noticed about a week ago, I figured out which one I thought it was a corinteened it. After a full day with no bloody poop I returned her to her sisters because she seemed lonely. Yesterday morning i noticed a lot of bloodly feces so I suspected it was cocci. I went out and bought corid which I added to their water, 1 tsp/gallon. Today there was still lots of blood, and I noticed one of the little ones not looking so good. I watched her drink water. Then I picked her up to try and prompt her to eat she appeared to spit up while I was holding her. A clear liquidy sort of thing is what came out. I'm very worried for her and all of my other chickens. I've attatched some pictures so if you guys have any other ideas or thing it might be something else any little bit of information helps! Thanks!
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG

Here in southeast LA cocci is just a right of passage for chicks. I deal with it in every batch of chicks.

Just make sure they only have access to the corid water to drink. My chicks always take over a week or week and a half before I see any improvements.

I read that the dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons (powder) per gallon of water. I believe your post said you'd mixed 1 tsp but I don't know how much water you used. You definitely need to be sure that the dosage is correct to get the best result. And if you have a plain Syringe (no needle), you may be able to give some to the sickest bird by holding her , squeezin our drops onto her beak while tapping on the side of her beak. Or squeeze out a couple of drops & gently tug on her wattles to get her to open her beak & drink a bit of the medicated water.

And you should try to quarantine the sickest bird, for sure. BUT keep treating everyone for 5-7 days (in this case, I'd do 7) no matter if you see a rebound or someone declines. Once one has it, they've all been exposed & may have it.

There's lots of info on this site about using Corid, dosages, treatment times, & Coccidosis. Definitely read the threads & I hope it helps your bird, who is beautiful by the way!

I usually treat all my chicks together when it comes to visit me.

It's just easier that way for me.

The good news is once they get it as chicks and finally get over it, I never see it in them as adults. I'm not saying it can't happen, it's just a trend I've noticed with my own birds.

Also, shipped hatchery chicks seem to be the most susceptible to it.

I had used one teaspoon because I'd read both 1 and 1.5 tsps here on many different forums. 1 tsp seemed to be the most popular choice so I used that, especially since my chicks are still small, I didn't know if too much would hurt them. Do you normally use 1.5? Thanks for the other information.

I had used one teaspoon because I'd read both 1 and 1.5 tsps here on many different forums. 1 tsp seemed to be the most popular choice so I used that, especially since my chicks are still small, I didn't know if too much would hurt them. Do you normally use 1.5? Thanks for the other information.
Do you have the power or liquid Corid?
If you use too little it will not work.

Attachments

• CORID.jpg
    CORID.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 4
You need to treat with the severe outbreak dose when you see blood.

I agree.

I was told by people on here with way more experience and knowledge than myself that it's very well tolerated by the chicks and they will be fine if given slightly over the recommended dosage. However, underdosing will prolong the disease and may even cause resistance to the meds.

Back
Top Bottom