Suspected cockerels in hatch

OfWolvesAndHen

Songster
Apr 15, 2021
I'm very sad to make this post, as I've grown incredibly attached to my little ameraucana chicks. However after reading through some threads on this forum, I believe it is necessary.

I suspect at least 2 of my 3 chicks are cockerels---this is based on my observations during vent sexing (though I realize there can be inaccuracies). They're only 3 days old so that's the best I can do.

I was gifted some hatching eggs by a family member and the goal from the beginning was to raise the chicks and sell/rehome, as I do not have an established coop. It was more for the sake of trying my hand at rearing chicks and for the fun of the process, which I know is horribly selfish. I feel awful. I realize that the chances of selling my males are bleak. Rehoming for free was my backup plan since before I even set the eggs in the incubator, but I did not know then just how poorly free cockerels can be treated. From the looks of it, the poor guys are a prime target for people in search of a disposable rooster, whether for fighting/bait, live food, etc.

With this in mind, how can I get rid of them? These guys are like my own little babies, I love them dearly, so I don't want to cull in a way that will cause pain if I can avoid it. I can't bring myself to break their necks or cut their heads off. They're very healthy and robust so I'm not sure a vet would be willing to euthanize. Car exhaust, poisoning, gassing? Something else?

Gosh... this really breaks my heart. I have no problems culling sick animals, but having to put down my healthy little babies makes me want to cry. But I fear if I rehome them for free, they may end up in the hands of someone who won't care for them. :(

Last edited:
Let them grow up longer-they might be females.

you are not a vent sexing trained expert, and from what I’ve learned, it is a hard task to become good at. Even hatcheries have a 10% or greater error rate.

once the possible boys are grown more, then you can sell on Craig’s list. Alternatively, sell all 3 now as straight run chicks. Your single female you currently plan to keep will be lonely, as chickens are flock animals.

I'm sorry :(

Can you try to find a home for them first?

Killing should be a last resort, I feel.
I could, and I would like to---however I know you have to be insanely lucky to find a buyer for cockerels/roosters, and I know what happens to birds who are given away for free. If they are going to be killed anyways I'd rather be in full control and ensure they aren't being made to suffer.

I could, and I would like to---however I know you have to be insanely lucky to find a buyer for cockerels/roosters, and I know what happens to birds who are given away for free. If they are going to be killed anyways I'd rather be in full control and ensure they aren't being made to suffer.
You don't know that they are cockerels. Even professionals don't know for certain. You can sell them straight run.

I think 3 days is way to early to determine if they are cockerels. Even professional vent sexers have only a 90% success rate.

That said, the ways I would recommend are the ones you said you don't want to do. Unfortunately I cannot offer any other suggestions, as I will only use a method that is both quick and painless.
That's my worry, but I don't have the resources to keep them until they are old enough to be reliably sexed.

I've seen a suggestion on here about sealing the chick in an airtight Ziploc bag, and that the absence of oxygen will more or less just make him fall asleep. Could this be an option? I just can't make myself follow through with any acts of physical violence on a healthy baby chick. I would be disgusted with myself for the rest of my life.

You don't know that they are cockerels. Even professionals don't know for certain. You can sell them straight run.
This is true, but it's the same issue as cockerels who are given away for free: I have seen more than enough information to suggest that straight run males are culled anyways, and if that is the fate that awaits them anyways I would much rather just do it myself to be absolutely sure it's at least humane.

That's my worry, but I don't have the resources to keep them until they are old enough to be reliably sexed.

I've seen a suggestion on here about sealing the chick in an airtight Ziploc bag, and that the absence of oxygen will more or less just make him fall asleep. Could this be an option? I just can't make myself follow through with any acts of physical violence on a healthy baby chick. I would be disgusted with myself for the rest of my life.
You can sell them now as straight run. Suffocating is much more cruel than decapitation.

You can sell them now as straight run. Suffocating is much more cruel than decapitation.
I may just bite the bullet and decapitate, then. I don't want them to suffer. My plan was to sell them as straight run or even rehome them for free, but I no longer feel comfortable doing so after seeing one too many horror stories about unwanted cockerels being used for sparring bait, live food for snakes or ferrets, etc. I've seen a number of posts on this forum in my research tonight about how "free to a good home" roosters are used for this as well, since they come at no cost and are easily accessible. Definitely not something I want to chance.

Back
Top Bottom