Suspected crooked toe in 8 week old pullet - vitamin recommendations?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollysFlock, Jun 15, 2011.

1. HollysFlock

HollysFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Indiana
    This morning we noticed one crooked toe on a ten week old Rhode Island Red and one crooked toe on an eight week old Barred Rock (I think). The outer toe seems curled so severely towards the outside the the nail is actually pointing backwards instead of towards the ground yet we are able to move the toe and it does not appear to cause any pain.

They have been in their coop for about a week and a half at this point with the other 20 pullets, it has shavings on the floor and hay (or straw?) on the shelf under the roosting poles. We regularly handle our chickens and so I am certain that this is a new development as opposed to a birth defect or anomaly.

They are eating and drinking well and show no signs of illness or discomfort even when range of motion is gently tested.

We have been placing them on their roosting poles each evening which are 6-8 inches above a very large shelf which is roughly 2-3 feet off the floor. We have watched them jump down and they seem to have figured out good landing skills and are even starting to fly up there themselves during the day.

We feed them Nutrena Nature-Wise vegetarian chick starter/grower. For the first four weeks they were fed DuMor chick starter.

As a vegetarian, I know that humans are prone to vitamin B deficiencies and I rather wonder if our vegetarian feed does not adequately address that despite it's fortification. Can anyone recommend a good vitamin and detail appropriate use or expected time for recovery? Are there any other options as to what could cause this?

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would be more inclined to treat with tape or vet wrap and maybe some cardboard to hold the toes in the correct position. There are a fair number of threads on here about treating crooked toes. But then I make a point oaf ensuring mine get some animal protein so I don't know about problems with a vegetarian diet.

3. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    You can buy B complex liquid at Walmart. It is higher in B vitamins than Poly-vi-sol, but not as easy to administer drops because it's very liquidy. If you do try this & it works, I'd assume your feed is deficient.

4. HollysFlock

HollysFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Indiana
    I thought that she was too old for shoes? If you think it would still work, I can try although I suspect she won't keep it on very long.

When giving vitamin supplements is it best to only provide the supplement to the two chickens with crooked toes or to put it in their water as they all eat the same food and therefore should all be suffering from a deficiency if that is the case in two?

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

5. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:I would probably treat the two with crooked toes with a few drops on the beak for two or 3 days, then also add it to the waterer for a few days. I use 1 full dropper of b complex liquid per quart to treat crooked toes. You can buy it in the vitamin section at Walmart.

You can make a splint with vetwrap or tape & a piece of pipecleaner. I would wait to see if they respond to the vitamin therapy first. Had a Dorking pullet hatch with very crooked toes. I treated with B complex & was going to make chicken shoes a few days later. Well, three days after I started the vitamin therapy, I couldn't figure out which girl had needed the shoe. [​IMG] Hopefully, yours will straighten out as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by