Suspected egg bound, soaking didn't help, threw up alot of mucus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweet'N'Sour Chxn Tender, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Sweet'N'Sour Chxn Tender

Sweet'N'Sour Chxn Tender In the Brooder

May 23, 2018
    I have an approximately 3year old bantum partridge Cochin hen that I suspect is egg bound I have soaked & given calcium but did not help, then "threw up" alot of mucus.

This afternoon she was staying to herself in back of coop standing very wide & moving slowly, picked her up to check on her & her belly was little hard & butt was dirty, when I put her down she went & stood in nesting box. So I brought her in gave some Tums & soaked her warm water, Epsom salt & little Dawn to clean her up, she loves baths & was in there about 30 minutes then rinsed her off in warm Epsom salt bath for another 30 minutes, she really loves baths & would sleep in there all night if I let her. The whole time I could see her vent contracting like she was going to lay an egg but never did. I took her out & dried her off, wondering if I should try again or put her in quite place & do again in the morning, since it was about her bedtime when all of a sudden she just started pouring mucus from her mouth, alot of it over about 20 minutes I thought I was going to lose her because I've only ever seen that when I've had others pass. She poured mucus for about 20 minutes & was having a little trouble breathing then it seemed to all stop & she snuggled in & went to sleep. I held her for 2 hours & she just slept, would wake for noises & movement but would go back to sleep, So I put her in a cat carrier & put her in a dark room to rest. Now I'm not sure how to proceed other than soak her again tomorrow, hopefully.
    But I've never had a chicken with so much mucus that survived, I've only seen it be the last thing that happened but she seemed to be okay after, could this have been because of being egg bound or something else. What could cause the mucus. Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to hopefully proceed tomorrow. Thank you in advance for any help.

A little background: she is very much a loved pet, I consider my chickens family pets not livestock. They have names, personality & get lots of love & attention.
    Sugar mama formally sugar snap is approximately 3yro, lives with her 9 grown babies(7H 2R) who are all healthy & show no signs of anything, they are partially free range
    & eat an all flock with lots of available free choice calcium, they've eaten this way for years without any problems & all always have rock hard eggs almost too hard.
    *Since I brought her in for treatment I have feed her layer feed

2. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I can't speak for the mucus (never experienced that before). But, the rest sounds like eggbound or internal laying. Has she been laying recently? That can give an indication of which one.

If you can get her to a vet, you might want to do so. Helping an eggbound hen is very tricking and a lot can go wrong.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Hopefully, someone else will chime in soon.

3. Sweet'N'Sour Chxn Tender

May 23, 2018
    I'm not sure if she's been laying,haven't seen her lay & have 7 other hens but have found a few in the sand in the run which is usually her but can't be sure. I wish could take her to the vet, the vets around here won't see chickens, the closest I found last time I needed one was 2hours away. I will look into it again & call around. Thank you so much for the advice

4. Sweet'N'Sour Chxn Tender

May 23, 2018
    I wanted to update to say I was able to find a farm vet an hour from us ,which is amazing. He was able to see her last night & she had water belly & is very thin, she was all water belly. She is really tired today just sleeping, we're hoping with rest she will make a full recovery, fatten back up & live her best life

5. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    That's amazing...so glad it worked out for you and your hen. Was he able to drain her belly?

6. Sweet'N'Sour Chxn Tender

May 23, 2018
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes he was able to drain it, there was alot, he said half my chicken went down his sink. Sadly it was too late, she was very thin & not strong enough to survive. I have health problems &my husband had been caring for them for about 2 months & didn't know what if anything to look for other than to make sure they're feed & safe, so she was very very thin. Once vet drained her belly she never recovered, she stopped eating & her crop filled up & seemed to include air, sweet Mama passed away Saturday night. My husband was doing his best but didn't know & now I actually have 8 chickens with bumble foot as well.
    I'm actually worried now because some of what I'm reading says water belly is hereditary & I have 9 chickens hatched from her & 2 of her sisters, 1 of which I suspect I lost to water belly,a the time I assumed yolk peritonitis. Sugar didn't make it but helped find a vet, that hopefully won't need but know is there, bringing her to him cost the same as taking cat to vet, I was pleasantly surprised by that

7. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm so sorry to hear about your hen. I've lost a few over the years and it doesn't get easier. But, don't give up. Just like other pets, some pass away young, others live for several years without any health problems.

Abdominal fluid is a symptom of another problem not a hereditary condition per se. Some hens do have a genetic predisposition for reproductive problems that result in water belly. Egg yolk peritonitis is a massive infection caused by either e coli or salmonella that leads to fluid build up.

With bumblefoot, soaking twice a day for 20 minutes with an iodine solution has worked well for me in the past. After a good soaking, the plug becomes soft enough that you can pick it out with sterilized tweezers.

8. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Aww. Sorry about your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: