Suspected impacted crop, advice please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ciqala, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Yesterday I noticed one of my hens {silver laced wyandotte} all puffed up, neck tucked in and closing her eyes a lot. She was keeping herself from the flock, poking around at stuff but not interested in food - I noticed her "yawning" a handful of times. Today, she was still fluffed up with turning her head around tucked into her back feathers. Her crop felt full this afternoon, bad time to check I know but she really didn't eat anything today too, and I brought her in the house. I massaged it a little, she did have one poop while in so at this point I know she's pooping.

I've searched/read on here and have a few questions since I'm suspecting her crop is impacted. What is the best oil to give her to help it pass, should it still be full tomorrow morning? Is there a certain way I should be massaging her crop? Is there anything else I can do for her if the oil and massaging doesn't help?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The below is from a sticky in this Emergencies forum, then under medical Treatment and Dosage. There are also a number of threads and articles (Learnign Center) on here about impacted crop.

Impacted and Sour Crop

Chickens need grit to digest food in the crop. When food gets blocked in the crop and cannot be digested, the result is an impacted crop. It presents as a hard lump in the chest. Check for this in the morning as it can be confused for a full crop, which is normal. The crop will naturally empty overnight if it is simply a full crop, but an impacted crop will not. Sometimes and impaction will rot in the crop and become squishy and foul smelling. This is a sour crop. Both impacted crop and sour crop keep the bird from digesting food properly.

Impacted Crop

Olive oil and massage - olive oil can help loosen an impaction. Simply put a two or three drops of olive oil at the back of the chicken's throat so that she swallows it and gently massage the crop. This may need to be repeated. Make grit available to the chicken, as well.

Sour Crop

Powdered copper sulfate - has anti-fungal properties. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water, changed daily for several days. This will also inhibit the growth of certain types of bacteria, an added benefit. Can be used with apple cider vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) - aids in the removal of mucus build up in the digestive tract that may contribute to sour crop. Can be used with the powdered copper sulfate.

** Recipe for sour crop (found offsite) **
    Coper Sulfate measurements.. be exact
    Use 1 gm (0.035 oz) of Copper Sulfate (bluestone) to 2 litres (3.52 pints) of water be very careful about the measurements of the Copper Sulfate too much will kill your bird
    Add 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
    Mix in some Cranberry Juice to make it more palatable for the birds to drink and disguise the taste of the copper sulfate and vinegar
    Give this medicated water as the sole source of drinking water for 4 to 7 days, in some cases you may need to extend this time until you feel that the condition is over
    Do not use metal containers only plastic ones
    Put the mixture out fresh each day

Suction - in severe cases of sour crop, connect a soft catheder tube to a needless syringe. The catheter must be inserted down the throat and into the crop. This is uncomfortable for the chicken and you may give her a drop or two of Bach's Rescue Remedy to help calm her for this process. Once the catheter is in the crop, carefully pull the plunger of the syringe to suck liquid from the crop.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Be very cautious if you give any type of oil orally, 'cause if they aspirate any of it that can cause lipoid pneumonia and probable death.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine and the crop was hard with seed, not grass, I would tube nothing but water and massage it a little. This is how I deal with crops impacted with seed, tube water, massage, wait for some to clear the crop, tube more water. So far it has worked every time. If you're willing to get the supplies needed I'm available by phone to help.

Tubing is much safer and easier than people think, I guarantee it! This is what you need:

[​IMG]

When I am going to give less than 60cc's, I use a 35cc catheter tip syringe like this one.
    [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid#post_9910754

-Kathy

5. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    She's looking a little better this a.m., not so fluffed up and closing her eyes. I just gave her a little oil and massaged it, I'm offering her grit and water only. How long is it safe not to offer food? Can she have a little food today or should I wait to see how this plays out, or give her some tomorrow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by