suspected poisoning

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kim1999, Jun 27, 2016.

1. kim1999

kim1999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    NL, Canada
    I've had a flock of ducks now 4 or 5 years. They have a spring fed creek and other than predators they have always been very healthy. I noticed a neighbor being aggressive towards them a couple times so when one died for no apparent reason I suspected she was poisoned. Another neighbor had seen her fall over and die on the spot with no apparent injuries. She had disposed of the duck before I got home. Today I noticed my older Pekin "Quacky duck" couldn't quack. Her mouth was opening and closing but no sounds. She's sitting and her tail is bobbing up and down like she's having trouble breathing. She is eating and drinking but something is wrong. Is there any other reason why this would happen? They are not penned and live in a very clean environment.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be poison, could be egg-laying problems. I'd make some changes.

3. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

it might be poison. if you really think it is poison get her to a vet?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  5. kim1999

Jun 10, 2014
    NL, Canada
    I live in a rural area the vet will not treat ducks but they will test for poisoning after the fact. This is the first time I've actually had a problem. What are egg laying problems? They are both hens. I just can't believe that someone would do that but there's pretty screwed up people in the world

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Eggs can get stuck in the passageway and cause trouble for the duck. Sometimes eggs can pop inside and cause infection. But I would proceed treating this as poisoning and if that isn't the case, then she'll probably need some antibiotics.

7. kim1999

Jun 10, 2014
    NL, Canada
    Anyone familiar with something called gapeworm? I found it in old thread and although I know other things could present the same symptoms what caught my attention was the fact that free range d are susceptable. My ducks spend there time digging for worms and snails. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm not a farmer lol they are just pets

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read about gapeworm. @casportpony may have some information - you can search the archives on the duck forum (the search box near the top of the duck forum index)

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Gapes are rare in chickens, but I don't know about ducks, though they do get them. @Miss Lydia , didn't you have one with gapeworms? Anyway, treatment is fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur) wormer for 5 days. The dose I would use is 0.23 ml per pound orally for 5 days. This amount will also treat almost all other worms ducks get. The bad news is that you're in Canada, and drugs are hard to get without a prescription, though I think you can get the horse paste wormer, which is the same as the liquid, but in paste form.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had a rooster get gape K.He wasn't able to crow at all and sad to say I treated him with the wrong meds and he died from gape worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by