Suspected Roo just laid an egg....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheaviance1, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    My mystery is solved!!! I have a definite pullet (or the world's first ever egg-laying rooster [​IMG] )
    This pullet has done everything except for crow that has led us to believe we had a roo on our hands. I have been anxiously waiting for a definitive answer to our mystery chicken, and it came today in the shape of an beautifully formed first egg [​IMG]

2. AmySue

AmySue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Cincinnati
    [​IMG]

3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Wow! That's one special rooster. I'm happy for you! [​IMG]
    What's his/her name?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Showed us didn't she?

5. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    saved from the crock pot!

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    "She" is Oprah, one of my Black Australorps. "She" (can you tell how suspicious I have been, "she" has been called IT for about 2 months now) is 21 or 22 weeks old. I will have to get my calendar out and count weeks to be sure. This chicken has seriously had us all fooled. I am so relieved. I got tickled pretty good because Oprah has been going around and around the coop today, and finally went inside. She squatted in a corner of the coop and assumed the position. I eased over, picked her up and put her in the nest box. She settled right down and got down to business. I went running around the whole house yelling at everyone, Oprah's not a Roo, Oprah's not a Roo, WHOOHOO!!!!

7. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have one I am waiting on as well....."she" seems to challenge the roo and bosses other hens around

8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Congratulations on Oprah's gender discovery! I've got to ask: how did you come to name her Oprah? I have a hen named Oprah too. She's a one year old Buff Orpington.

9. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Funny I'm in a similar situation with a questionable BA. 19 weeks and I'm back wondering if she is a he again. Very little comb development but her gosh darned tail is so roo like compared to my other breeds. I swear I see saddle feathers too, but I'm either seeing things or in too much denial.

I guess I'll know sooner or later.

10. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Post some pics so we can see what she looks like and figure out why she was pegged as a roo. [​IMG] Always good to learn from our mistakes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by