Suspected Spraddle Legs?- SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryGirly, Mar 3, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I have a chick that was hatched today (March 3) at around 1 p.m. When she came out of the shell, her egg sort of fell out of the egg carton they were in and her egg was stuck to a "string". She couldn't get around very well so I thought it was the shell holding her back so I snipped the string. Now it's 9 hours after she hatched and she can't get around very well. I fixed her legs up with the band-aids and she could then stand! But then, she fell on her back and couldn't get up because her feet were "tied together". I then cut in the middle of her two legs where the band-aid was connected so she isn't "splinted" anymore. The two wraps from the band-aid are still on her legs and I guess I'll get those off tomorrow. Are there any ways to do this where she can't flip over on her back or she can get up if she does flip over? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Yes, now I'm 99.99% positive that it's a mild/moderate case of spraddle legs.

3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Okay, this is what I've noticed: when he walks, one leg is fine, but the other is sort of sideways. He tries to walk at his knee.

4. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Anyone ?

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Anyone ?

6. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So we just put the band-aid back on the chick and now I'm not so sure he does have spraddle leg. When he was first hatched, he fell out of his shell (they were hatched in egg cartons) and I'm wondering if he could've bruised or sprained it. When he walks, he lifts one leg up like he's favoring it. I can get a video or picture if anyone wants.

7. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Now his knee area is bleeding!

8. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Now his knee area is bleeding!

9. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Now I do not think this is spraddle leg. He lifts his foot up when he walks like it hurts. I think he injured it when he was coming out of the shell. Anyone at all?

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/220/slipped-tendon-perosis

Cross beak, scissors beak, splay leg, and what you seem to be dealing with, slipped tendon (perosis disease) are all conditions that seem to arise out of either poor nutrition, hatching eggs produced in a poor environment, poor incubation practices, or breeding stock that have a family history of producing chicks with a congenital condition that results in this disorder.

You will likely get many suggestions on how to cure this poor bird but as far as I know there is no cure and at best there is only a 24 hour window where intervention has any chance of being effective. My chicken history is such that I would never in a 1,000 years try to cure or treat a chick like yours, (I would however likely take a hatchet to everything in the brood pen and all their family) so I have no ideas or magic potions to share with you. However the chick in question belongs to you. It is not mine. Do to or with this chick as you see fit to do. Good luck to both you and the chick.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by