Suspected TB or lymphatic leucosis in 10 mo old Buckeye Pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buckeyeidaho, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Buckeyeidaho

Buckeyeidaho Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Lost a free-range 10 mo old Buckeye pullet today after 3 days of lethargy, pale comb/ wattles, self-isolation and disinterest in food or water. Upon autopsy I was stunned to recover a severly enlarged liver of over 200 gms ( ~ 8 oz), that filled the entire gut cavity. Liver had gross and extensive tumors that readily separated from the parenchema. Liver was so mushy and disintegrated. I have no idea how she survived as long as she did w/o overt symptoms. Awaiting autopsy and histopath report....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Buckeyeidaho

Buckeyeidaho Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Would appreciate anyone's feedback/experience/advice with LL.

I am a newbie chicken farmer and this was my first mail-order flock. Out of all chicken breeds, Buckeyes were the only breed for me :).
    Have now lost 2 of my 15 buckeye pullets (9 and 11 mo) to Lymphoid leucosis (confirmed by gross necropsy,clinical histopath at Wash State Univ) No vaccine, treatment, or cure.

My entire flock is exposed...2 of my 13 remaining pullets now also have signs of disease. Even culling the entire flock, along with extreme SPF sanitation (this level of vigilance is doable in commercial settings, not on a family farm),

Going forward, no measure will erradicate risk of viral transmission for future flocks - I can only hope for viral carriers with resistance to full-blown disease.There were no poultry on our property (a former dairy farm) for over 10 years prior to our purchase in 2012 Our chickens are free-ranged on 30 acres and secured in their coop at night.

Very sad time on our farm in the idaho panhandle.

A diagnosis of Mareks in my flock would at least given hope of raising a future flock of (quarantined,vaccinated and/or resistant) pullets.

So love my Buckeyes and would love to have a healthy flock in the future. Thoughts/advice from Buckeye experts out there?

Thanks so much for any advice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by