Suspicious construction sand

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Terrie Mac, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    My husband just got back with truck load of supposed "construction" sand for the run. But it's very fine and doesn't look at all like the bagged construction sand I've used. The top soil yard said it was for sure construction sand.

1) Is it still okay to use though it's very fine?
    2) Will it be okay for the chickens grit, or do I now need to buy some actual grit?

2. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    If your chicks are young, under 4 weeks, it will work for grit. If they are older you might need to suppliment. If they have access to the soil, ie dirt, gravel and such from your yard they will most likely get enough grit. Our chicks roam over our pen, it has a lot of gravel and grass and we do not suppliment any grit, we do have oyster shell out.

3. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    it is probably Mason sand. it is a much higher quality sand than regular construction sand as it is finer. Generally used in the brick laying process or under ceramic tile installations.

I think it should be fine. I have seen many pictures on this site where the sand looks very fine.

4. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Thank you for the replies. We're going to mix in some bagged (rough) construction sand to what we got today so the chickens (7 weeks old) can find some grit. [​IMG]

5. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    At 7 weeks old my chickens are actually eating grit that I purchased at the co-op. They don't eat a lot of it and I bought a 50lb bag and only refilled the quart mason jar feeder once so far since having it out there 3 weeks.

I guess it depends on what you are feeding them. Mine get veggie and fruit scraps as well as bread and such from the table scraps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by