Suspicious Ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melissamerry, Feb 7, 2013.

1. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    Does anyone ever have a day where your ducks are oh so quiet that you keep running outside to check on them
    because you swear up and down they are plotting on something quite devious. Something is up today. It's like
    they know a secret that I'm not suposed to know!

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not entire days, but yes there are times when they have been too quiet for too long, and I have to go check on them.

Two movie moments come to mind. In Terms of Endearment, Aurora Greenwood would constantly wake the baby Emma, fearing crib death. "She's just asleep," Emma's dad would say.

And from Chicken Run: "They're up to somethin' I tell ya . . . . it's that Ginger."

On a more serious note - they are well protected outdoors, please tell me they are? It occurred to me that if they sense the presence of danger they can get quiet. Just don't want to miss something critical to their wellbeing. I am in love with your ducks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Not to make you paranoid but mine acted that way yesterday morn I seen nothing but I felt uneasy and they were quiet and kept going to their run strange then like 3 fighter jets 3 hawks appeared made sense the behavior. today all was norm

4. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Every time mine do that it's because a bald eagle is circling. Ever since Eva got attacked by one they are super sensitive and if I look outside and they are all in their house then I know it's in a nearby tree. Then I grab my camera to take its picture and it flies off every time. I wish it would just go away.

5. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    They are protected. I'm very much in love with my babies too and I would just die inside if I let anything harm them. We have a very small patio, I'd say 15ft x 7 maybe? There's a tall fence running around it in an apartment complex. The patio is connected to the kitchen so you can practically see them from bedroom/living area. But I'm usually outside with them, studying or splashing around with them.

They ended up being quiet ALL day and night. Not even a "feed me, it's dinner time peep". I figured they could sense that I was stressed out over exams this week or something. Such sweeties.

I've only seen a hawk at the park that I take them too. Never around our place. When they saw that hawk though they were doing backflips and going crazy. They tried to hide in my backpack and under my lap! I hope the hawk didn't find us!

I did notice some wild mallards flying overhead. I heard from some neighbors that they hang out here during the spring. Maybe my ducks were deep in though trying to figure out what these other ducks were?

6. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Not sure how old or what kind your babies are but I have 3 Pekins as well as others but the 3 Pekins get like that sometimes for no apparent reason animals are smart if you have been stressed with exams maybe they since this. As long as everyone eating and drinking and plenty of poop your good keep one eye in the sky the other on the ground for predators. Your a great mom for noticing this.

7. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    The three of them are 7 month old white mallards. They started acting normal again the next day, Bouncing around, yelling at me to make mud puddles for them and such. I've just never seen them so quiet before! It was kind of creepy. Hah.

But I agree about how smart and cautious they can be.

8. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Glad to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by