Suspicious fighting roosters set-up next door; new neighbors

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HenSpa, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenSpa

HenSpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Thought I'd ask those in the "know": Does this description sound like a fighting rooster set-up to you? About 26 separate little houses with all rooster occupants. Cagey answers from owners, who didn't know that I also raise chickens and know a thing or two (like if you plan to eat them, hens are optimal). One said: we plan to "show" them and eat the eggs (saw no hens...); The other said later: we eat them and do it for eggs, too. ?? It all sounds/looks dodgey to me. The sound will soon be a cacophony, too. These are new neighbors who just moved in.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'd keep my nose to my side of the fence.

The hens are probably in a separate housing unit. Keeping game birds like that prevents them from having to build 50 different pens feet apart and worry about their birds hurting each other through the fence.

Sounds like a breeding colony to me.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    yes, sounds like a breeding program. They would do that to prevent the cocks from fighting each other. And i also would think the hens could be in a different place.

4. HenSpa

Uh, no, the hens are definitely not in a separate facility. We walked the property and around the roosters up close and personal...mainly because they set it up on OUR property; OUR land. We had to tell them to quit building, putting up fence. They have about 3-4 acres; we have 13 acres.

Like I said, no hens.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I know many people that just breed games because of their beauty. Unless you see a "pit" for fights, they may just be breeding. Which unless you have regulations against it, its not illigal. I would be more concerned about them building and being on your property more than anything.

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    hmmm do you know the set up of the house?? do you know if they have a basement? did you see any fighting equipment? thats a really sensitive subject.. you can always give your local police department a heads up.. like you noticed they had a bunch of roos and no hens. and when you asked qestions the owners gave you a runaround giving you answers like i use them for eggs.

7. HenSpa

They're moving their set-up off our property right now. I mean, they were WAY over; all the way.

The noise is my primary concern now. We live on a street of mini farms, but still close neighbors. The sound is kicking in. 26 roosters are quite loud unless you live on a lot of acreage. And, yes, they have proven themselves to be questionable already with the different answers, the building on our property without consulting the property stakes (our land was in full shade where they set up; that have no ideal shade or trees). One spouse says we're going to show them, one says we're strictly eating them, and then talking eggs when they have no hens?? Why be strange w/ your answers if you're on the up and up?

My husband took one look and said they're raising fighting roosters. I just thought I'd see what those who raised roosters (legit) might have to say.

8. HenSpa

Evelle, I do know the set up of the house (dear friend lived there previously) and they do have a basement.

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    No hens? Separate cages? Sounds fishy to me....I'd keep an ear out for fighting. And I wouldn't hesitate to give the proper authorities a heads up. JMO

10. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    right... my thoughts exactlly
    and if you raise only roosters couldnt you keep them in a coop with eachother if you dont have any hens???
    and if you get conflicting answers to your qestions then right there should be a BIG indacator.
    are they small banty roosters i had a great uncle who raised cocks for fighting and he had load and loads of banty roos (this was when it wasnt illegal to fight them way back in the day)
    id notify you local police department maybe they will do something about all of the roos??
    at least they will have it on record that they have a lot. [​IMG]
    and for that matter if they are show roos they should know about chickens and know that roosters dont lay eggs..
    maybe they were hoping you didnt know that they are all roos

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by