Sussex acting weird, first time raising chickens, help!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chelseamcdee, Dec 8, 2014.

1. chelseamcdee

chelseamcdee New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    Hello, all!

This is my first post on BYC! I have 6 hens and 2 roos and this is my first time raising chickens. I got them all as day old chicks. So far 3 of the 6 hens are laying.

One of my speckled sussex girls that is NOT laying yet was acting very strange today. She dug herself a hole in the garden and was standing in it with her tail pointed down and she was all puffed up. The rest of the chickens were out free ranging in the field and she was all by herself. She ran away from me when I tried to pick her up and she pooped out what looked like egg yoke.
    The other chickens all came running over because they saw me at that point and she didn't try to run away from the flock. She ate the mealworms and was picking at the ground with the others after that but she still seemed uncomfortable to me.

Any ideas? Could there be a broken egg inside her? What should I do?

Thanks for any input!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Yes it sounds like she had an egg break inside. It can be common in new layers to lay shell-less eggs with only a membrane covering it. I would put on a rubber glove, and insert a finger 1 inch inside her vent to gently check for any egg shell or membrane residue, and try to remove it. Make sure that your pullets are on layer feed containing 4% calcium, and place crushed oyster shell out in a separate container for them to free feed. Their own egg shells can also be crushed and fed back to them. Good luck.

3. chelseamcdee

chelseamcdee New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    Thank you Eggcessive! My hen is doing much better now and is now laying normal eggs! I am giving them supplemental calcium to try and prevent it from happening again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by