Sussex and Buttercup mix up?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steffanie3, May 9, 2008.

1. steffanie3

steffanie3 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    I bought both of these chicks as Speckled Sussex. The larger, lighter one I believe is a Buttercup. I purchased 11 straight run on May 1st. I purchased the darker one (five total pullets) on May 7th.

What do you think?

My feedstore guy where I bought the first set isn't much help. He pretty much told me not to worry about it, that "they're just chickens" and "chickens are chickens".

Both sets came from Privett and I guess they are basically sold out through June so even if the guy takes them back I can't get replacesments until then.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    No picture...hard to tell.

Trisha in MO

3. steffanie3

May 7, 2008
    Oh geez, I forgot.

Sorry, fixed.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  4. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    The lighter one sure does look like my buttercups did at that age. I don't have any sussex so i don't know about that. Look at the comb. If it looks like there are two parallel combs, then for sure it is a buttercup.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The darker one looks like my sussex did at that age.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The dark one looks just like my 10 speckled sussex - the light one does not at ALL and I am pretty sure that you're right, it's something else. It does look somewhat (but not totally) like my golden campine chicks, for whatever that's worth? Anyhow the combs should be coming in Real Soon Now so you should know soon if it's a Buttercup.

Good luck,

Pat

7. steffanie3

May 7, 2008
    I am pretty sure they are buttercups now, there are two small rows of combs.

What do hatcheries normally do if this happens?

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

What!? "chickens are chickens?" ugh! that's like saying labs and border collies are the same! or betas and goldfish or parakeets and cockatoos or quarter horses and percherons or holsteins and angus and...and...and...

9. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Here is one of my buttercup from welp hatchery they are 16 days old.

[​IMG]

you can see all five in this picture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  10. remington3006

remington3006 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    the left one is deffinatly Sussex and the right is deffanetly butter cup sussexes have white legs buttercups have olive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by