Sussex and Wellingtons

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JackieinYorktown, Jan 23, 2010.

1. JackieinYorktown

JackieinYorktown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    How docile are these ?? I want to add to my flock of wyandottes, rocks, ee and orpingtons....
    thanks !

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Do you mean welsummers? I don't have any now, but they were fine when I had them. Not quite as friendly as some of my breeds, but not really flighty either. My sussex are my friendliest birds and are constantly underfoot.

3. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I have orpies now...LOVE Them!!! They are soo sweet and just come running to you when they see you! Got mine from idealpoultry.com...they are plump and really heavy..very pretty to watch in the yard! Love affection & treats! Great to hear about the sussex!!! I'm expecting day old speckled sussex babies in Feb!!!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think you will be pleased with the Sussex. I don't have Welsummer so I can't say about them.

I got mine from Cackle. Different hatcheries can have different lines. Of the ones I have, I prefer the Delaware. The Sussex are also a great choice. Hard to argue against them.

5. chaneg78

chaneg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    I think speckle sussex are the coolest chicken there is, but I also don't know much about welsummers

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Love my buff orpie girls but thought the spec.sussex would add a little color to the flock and from what I read GREAT personalities! Thanks for the confirmation!!! Now I'm excited!

7. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I have a Welsummer. She gets along well with my other hen, and lays large dark speckledy eggs every other day. [​IMG] she's a little flightly, but is catchable if I need to.
    I think that she's lovely, and was thinking of getting a few more if i have the chance. [​IMG]

8. JackieinYorktown

Jun 10, 2009
    I don't mind flighty, just aggressive. I agree that it woud be fun to get some dark brown eggs. I guess that I am easily amused, but I like the idea of a colorful assortment of eggs. I also liek variety in my little flock !

9. JackieinYorktown

Jun 10, 2009
    Stupid me --- I did mean Welsummers. I guess all this mucking around has got me thinking of Wellingtons !!!

10. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I have two Welsummers and like them a lot. They are my second favorite breed in my flock. (My RIR is by far the friendliest.) My welsummers are friendly. They are not flighty. They like to be petted. They follow me around more than any others. They seem to be the smartest breed I have. I get one or two dark speckled eggs each day from them. They have continued laying all winter. I will be adding one more to my flock this spring.

I don't have experience with Sussex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by