Sussex Ate A Snake

hudsonhousechicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Austin
Okay, it was a tiny Texas Blind Snake, maybe 3.5 to 4 inches. I was turning soil in a raised bed and there it was. My 8 week old free ranging Speckled Sussex gobbled it up in a millisecond. It wasn't much longer than a hefty earthworm but it's a snake. Will she be okay? The snakes are not venomous by the way.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie but I'm sure it will be fine. I read on here where people said their chickens ate lizards and one post said their chickens found and ate a dead cat and they were all fine as far as I know. Ill be interested to see what other people say.

Yikes! I'm finding it amazing what they will eat. What came to mind was the nursery rhyme about the old lady who swallowed the spider and it wiggled and wiggled and wiggled inside her.

I've heard of chickens eating just about everything...venomous snakes and spiders included.

A non venomous snake - is harmless. its just meat. I've had chickens catch, fight over, and kill a 3 ft black snake before. so a teeny tiny thing like the blind snake = a worm just like you said. same if they were eating a worm
tongue.png
but tastier
wink.png

I watched a small black snake (8") slide into my run one day, bad move, the girls put the mojo on it. He put up a valiant effort but with 17 girls trying to get a piece of him it was over quick. Ate everything but the head. Hated to see a good snake like a black become brunch but they were licking their beaks for a good hour after watching where he came through waiting on more.

Quote:
I agree, I hated that mine ate a nice healthy black snake, and probably the same one I'd relocated 2 times that year already from around the back yard to the woods...but oh well thats nature.
hmm.png

I don't have issues with snakes until they start eating chicks. However egg snatching snakes, I don't care too much...Besides they are taking the risk for a meal to become a mama hen's meal
wink.png
So if he can sneak an egg more power to him.

Though I am a snake nut - an animal nut in general. I get called all the time now by neighbors now that I preach that I can catch them and move them instead of them killing a snake if they aren't sure what it is and taking a chance getting bitten trying to kill it.

You guys have great stories!!!!! I have to say, the girls have really cleaned up our yard. I'm very impressed by how thorough they are. And the rain we're having is bringing everything to the surface - grubs, the little snake, worms and beetles.

hudson, chickens are great alternative to pest control they eat bugs, worms, flies, snakes, mice, moles, lizards, etc...I told a friend who is alergic to cats once to get her some chickens to free range to take care of her mouse problem. she thought I was joking! I have 3 cats and they do a wonderful job on their own with mice and lizards but they don't kill snakes just peeve them off - lol. but the chickens will try like the devil to kill 'em and eat them if they can!

Back
Top Bottom