1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sussex chick - any photos to share? I am trying to determine gender..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by simpleliving, May 11, 2009.

1. simpleliving

simpleliving Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Hi everyone-

I have photos but left my camera at home, so will have to upload them tonight. In the meantime, does anyone have any photos of their Speckled Sussex older chicks - mine just turned 7 weeks old and I am very suspicious that it is a little roo. He has quite a red comb going on and is a bit agressive. Anyone know if pullets get have crowns at this age?

Thanks so much!

Holli

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have any 7 week old pictures to compare exactly, but here is a 10 week old picture. This pullet lives across the street. She was mine until she was 3 weeks old, but she belongs to my friend now.

[​IMG]
    The speckled sussex is a real sweet curious pullet, not aggressive at all.

[​IMG]
    She only has minimal comb and wattle development and is still pretty yellow.

[​IMG]

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    The two I have that are adults were different shades when they were little. I don't have a photo of them, but do remember the roo being lighter in coloration and the hen being very very dark. I have one Speckled Sussex chick in the brooder right now that is light and again is probably a roo. (My luck!) However, I have some coming that I ordered and should be here in the morning. They will all be pullets I hope. Got tired of trying to hatch eggs for good stock and figured I would just mix what I have and enjoy them anyhow. I can post pics when I get time tomorrow. I have to say that the Speckled Sussex have quickly become my favorite.

4. simpleliving

simpleliving Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks both of you. It is apparent to me now that I have a roo! So sad but he will have to go as we are not allowed to have roos in our neighborhood.

[​IMG]

Thanks again,

Holli

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Yes that is a roo for sure. Too bad you cannot keep him. I adore our Speckled Sussex Roo. He is just a hatchery bird, but my bud and so sweet! I hope you can find him a good home with someone that apreciates this breed.

[​IMG]

6. GardeNerd

CountryMom: That's is handsome rooster!

7. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I'm not sure if you want to hear this but that sussex is a rooster

8. GardeNerd

Quote:What about it makes you think it is a cockerel? It is now almost 14 weeks and has changed very little since I took those photos, other than being a little larger. You're are right, my neighbor probably doesn't want to know one of her favorites might be a cockerel. But please let me what know since I guess I have an untrained eye for sexing if you really think that is a cockerel.

Edited to add the pic that I just went across the street and took. Here it is.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the bird in person, I still would say her comb is generally yellow and the waddles are just a line on her chin.
    I saw no pointy hackle feathers or curved or pointy sickle tail feathers.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  9. GardeNerd

I guess it is still bugging me about chickenlover54 saying my friend's Speckled Sussex is a rooster. Here are more pictures I took yesterday.
    I think the chicken is now 19 weeks 3 days old. No crowing. I still think it is a pullet. Am I mistaken and this is a cockerel? Really? Can anyone else who has raised these can verify? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. crackertrail

crackertrail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Hardee County
    I sure hope that is a hen cause I have one that looks exactly the same, also have a roo that is showing his roo feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by