Sussex Chick Gasping for air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by revolutionmama, Oct 18, 2009.

1. revolutionmama

revolutionmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    My Sussex Chick about 9 - 10 weeks old has been feeling down today and has been gasping for air. I Vet RX her down the throat and on the nostrils and eyes and wrapped her in a towel on my lap. As we all know these birds are not cheap and I would hate to loose her, plus she has been a inside chicken since I've had her. I just changed her litter yesterday and put fresh water with antibitics and Vet Rx and Vitimans. She ate a bit today but has been going downhill in the last couple hours. Just yesterday she was percky and ready to jump out of the cage? She did have this happen a week ago to but she was still perky dispite the gasping. She dosen't have the CRD symtoms like bubbly eyes nostril discharge etc. just the gasping. HELP with anymore suggestions...thanks Jenn [​IMG]

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    How long have you had her and was she always indoors? How many chicks do you have? How are they?
    What do you feed her? How is her crop? Any odor from her mouth?
    What does her poo look like?
    Please add any other info even if you're not sure it matters.

3. revolutionmama

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    How long have you had her and was she always indoors? I've had her about a month and a half. Yes she has alway's been indoors because when I got her she was only about 2 weeks old. She was a replacement from Green Fire Farms.
    How many chicks do you have? She is the only one in the cage, the other sussex are old enough to be outside.
    How are they? The older ones are very healthy. I do however have some silkies on the other side of the room that are little, but seem active and healthy, in a different cage.
    What do you feed her? She gets fed Purina Med. Crumbles
    How is her crop? - Her crop feels bony, she did drink a bit earlier but seemed to come back up when I picked her up maybe a little flemy too
    Any odor from her mouth? No oder, just the Vet Rx I put down there earlier
    What does her poo look like? Really no poo today due to lack of eating. All the other poo I've seen is hard, maybe a couple of runny ones.
    She did have the gasping last week but wasn't listless like this, right now she can't even stand up and i have heat and a towel over her. I don't want to loose her. She pulled out of the last episode with in hours after the Vet Rx dose and some vitimans in the water. This time is definately different.
    I really appriciate your response! and will take any advise you have for me. I don't know how to add a link but I filmed it on my camera.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Do not EVER give vetRX internally (if it were up to me I would forbid this product for use in birds because it contains camphor
    > see the link below)
    Even on the holistic and aromatherapy sites are warnings to NOT use aromatic essential oils around birds (or cats).
    At its best it can provide purely symptomatic (not therapeutic) relief and when you use it you are risking your birds life. Please do not use it again.
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=toxicologydisease&action=display&num=1248421734

5. revolutionmama

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    What you can do as basic support measures :
    Remove all bedding material (fungal spores in straw or hay and dust from pine shavings will irritate the mucous membranes) and replace with sand with paper towels on top of that (can be easily removed and replaced)

Make sure the humidity is sufficient and there is sufficient ventilation.

If you have in house ensure that other household dangers (smoke, teflon fumes, candles air fresheners etc.) are not present in the area your bird is staying in.
    I keep an ill bird in my bathroom as is is generally more humid than in other areas > you can hang up a wet towel to up the humidity. If you possibly can, get some oxine or VirkonS and mist the room several times a day with that. (see this article over Oxine:
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm
    (if you use VirkonS you will need a 1% dilution)

Give three drops of Polyvisol enfamil (no extra iron) once a day in beak then taper off the next week.

Ensure your bird drinks sufficiently to avoid dehydration (an ill bird will often stop drinking and dehydration will kill them quicker than the original ailment) > dribble water along beak if necessary (dont squirt in beak as the bird MUST swallow it on its own to avoid aspiration)

7. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    When you changed bedding, did you change to a new BAG of bedding or a different brand? Is it PINE shavings? Cedar shavings are very controversial - smell nice but supposedly can be toxic/bad for chickens.

8. revolutionmama

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    I alway's use Pine bedding. I am making her a bed in the bathroom with paper towels and heat. She made it through the night but still no change. Her neck is real limp, but I helped her take a drink of water and she had a few drinks.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Is there any chance you have an avian vet nearby?

-Cindy

10. revolutionmama

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    I actually have Oxine, so I use 1/8 tsp to a gallon of water? and mist the room and her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by