Sussex chickens don't tear up the garden? Really?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vispania, Feb 14, 2017.

1. vispania

vispania New Egg

Feb 14, 2017
    I just read that sussex don't tear up your garden. That sounds too good to be true. Any experience with that? We have Amaracauna and they make a huge mess. Thinking maybe if we get a Sussex rooster they will be less destructive?

Dan

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Where did you read that? Breed is not the issue - any chicken has the potential to cause destruction in a garden - it's more a matter of what you are planting/growing and what you consider "tear up".

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Also - welcome to BYC!

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Dan! I know my Speckled Sussex were right in the thick of the flock gorging themselves on my kale in the garden, lol. Bad girls. Between the RIR, Easter Egger, Barred Plymouth Rock and red sex links, those SS girls got their share for sure!

If there's some type of plant you don't want your chickens to mess with (eat, scratch around, etc.) you best put some type of barrier up...either to keep the birds confined to a specific area or to protect your plants.

Thanks for joining us!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Dan [​IMG] Welcome!

In my experience, I have found that my feather footed girls cause less damage in the garden than the non-feather footed. Having said that, if they want it and they can get to it, it is history! [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the others have given you some good advice. It's natural for a chicken to dig and scratch up soil, plants, anything looking for food. It's called foraging and they do that well.

You really do have to fence important plants to keep the chickens out. Some folks like to turn the chickens loose when they are starting to prepare a garden. They will thoroughly turn the soil over for you. At the end of harvest they will clean up your garden plot. And their droppings will help enrich the soil for the next year.

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the community! I am pleased you could join us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I know my Ss's do!! I think a chicken is a chicken generally and scratching and digging is as natural to them as breathing. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hello and Welcome. Your right....Any thing that sounds to good to be true usually isn't. All chickens will dig, unless they have no feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by