1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sussex county fair NJ question

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by bauerdog, Oct 6, 2016.

1. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Do you have to be NPIP to sell chicks or started pullets for the spring show? Just wondering what the process is. Considering selling birds this spring

2. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    The Entry Book says "At this time, the State of New Jersey ONLY requires Pullorum testing in order to show or sell your birds". So NPIP is not required, only the pullorum cert.

I must ask, however, please do not bring hatchery quality birds, mutts, crosses, or things of that nature. This is a show held by a poultry fancier's association, people come here from many different states to exhibit very fine quality birds, and expect that the sales area be selling quality stock, not junk. If people wanted the latter, they would go on Craigslist.

3. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    I was considering selling ayam cemani.....how involved is it to get pullorum tested?

4. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ

Not involved at all. You just get in touch with someone who is certified to test for it. It's usually a fellow hobbyist. They come to your place, you take your birds out, they test their blood and if the test comes back negative they give you a certificate that's good for a certain amount of time.

1 person likes this.
  5. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Agreed, it's very easy and certainly doesn't take long at all. And it's not very expensive either. :)

6. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    My guy does it for free.

7. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I do think most people actually do it for free. The people that did ours were raising money for the poultry section in Fair, so since we show poultry we just thought we'd go with them. :)

8. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    How do they get the blood sample? I guess they need to test a certain percentage of my birds.....How do I go about finding someone for central Jersey?

9. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    They hold the bird down, put a pin in a vein, use a cotton swab to collect the blood, then test it. No big deal.

10. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Agree with this.

When they tested our birds, we had nine and they only needed to test three, but it could be different depending on what state you live in. I would call your counties 4-H extension office, they will probably know of someone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by