1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sussex for meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kada6305, Aug 9, 2014.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I have a Speckled Sussex Rooster, hen, 3 red sex link hens, 3 white leg horns. I know the leghorns wont make very good meat birds. I currently have Speckled Sussex, and red sex-link/ Sussex cross eggs in the incubator. At what age should I butcher the Sussex for meat? Would the Sussex/ sex link crosses make okay meat birds? We are a family of 2 so don't need a lot of weight on them.

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Sussex are a dual purpose bird, so they will have some meat on them when grown. I would butcher them when I felt they were big enough to be worth it, so close to full grown. probably around 16-18 weeks. if u don't want to wait that long they will probably be big enough by 14 weeks to get some meat from them

3. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Okay, Thank you. I know the commercial meat birds were around 9 weeks. My husband thinks we could do the SS at 9 weeks too, but I didn't think so since they are a dual purpose. We are looking to replace our rooster as he has become mean so he will probobally be a stew for our dogs (he's a year and a half) Would it be okay to breed our hen to her son if she produces a rooster? I'm not sure how line breeding works.

4. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    yeah, I don't really know how the breeding thing works either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by