sussex lovers post here!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickiebaby, Nov 29, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I love love love my speckled, but I don't know as much about the breed as I'd like. Diff colors, temperments, breeding history, etc? Tell us what you know. Please post pics, facts, names and general Sussexiness here!

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I adore Nugget. She's spectacular.

She is a Speckled Sussex hen, eight months old, she lays an egg almost every day.

She tends to overeat. Hay and pine shavings seem particularly tasty to her, and she has had an impacted crop twice. We have removed all of the bedding in the coop and run and substituted sand, and I put cloth in the nest boxes now.

Since we flushed out her crop the first time she got sick she has not been very cuddly. Can't say I blame her, I'd be pretty mad at anyone who did that to me!

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I want some next season. Hope to get eggs from a friend who raises Speckled Sussex. [​IMG]

4. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    I want some Speckled Sussex to add to my flock.... Not sure if I want to go with a big hatchery though...

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I got Nugget from Ideal.
    I ordered all pullets, but one of the three was a cockerel. I guess they are hard to sex.

6. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I have 9 Speckled Sussex at the moment and I LOVE them! I have to cull some roosters so I will be down to 1 roo and 5 hens. I am hoping somehow to get my hands on other colors of sussex, but so far have had no luck. I have emailed every breeder I have heard about and so far have gotten no responses. Maybe in the spring someone will have light sussex or buff for sale. They are great birds!

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    We love our light & buff Sussex. They are very nice, big & friendly birds. Ours like to eat a lot too.

8. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Quote:Light??? Buff??? Do you ever sell their eggs??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    They are not laying yet. We may sell some in the future.
    Quote:Light??? Buff??? Do you ever sell their eggs??? [​IMG]

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Ditto, BigBlue: I'd love to see pics of some of your Sussex! I only have speckled, and I think they're the greatest. I, too, would love to buy some eggs . . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by