Sussex or Chantecler Breeders in New England?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by wookiee, Nov 20, 2009.

1. wookiee

wookiee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi all,
    I am looking to establish a self-sustaining, free ranging, cold-hardy flock in New Hampshire and was wondering if anyone knew of any good breeders of Sussex in the New England area. Any color variety is fine. I am looking specifically for birds that grow to the breed standard of 7lb hens and are good foragers. I do supplement with organic layer pellets and have a nice, predator proof coop.

I bought three Speckled Sussex from a hatchery and they are nice birds, but not really the big "dual-purpose" size as described. I am hoping that by going with a good breeder, I can get a true dual purpose bird.

I know Chantecler birds are more rare, but if anyone has a good recommendation for a breeder for Chanteclers, please pass that along as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited: I would prefer to buy chicks or adult birds. I do not have an incubator or a broody at the moment. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Someone in Maine has buff chanteclers, waynesgarden is in western ME. ChanteclersRock has partridge chanteclers and is in NH.

Not sure of anyone with speckled sussex that aren't from hatchery stock.

-Cindy in MA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by