1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sussex or columbian wyandotte?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantamenace, Apr 25, 2009.

1. bantamenace

bantamenace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Tasmania
    We have just bought these approx 12 week old hens and not sure what breed they are? all help would be wonderful thanks[​IMG]

2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    The 2 on the right are columbian wyandottes (they have rose combs right?). The other, maybe a New Hampshire (or mix)..?

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The two are columbian wyandottes, the third one may be a project buff columbian wyandotte or maybe a poor buff wyandotte but it looks like a wyandotte. Did I say wyandotte enough times, lol. They should turn out to be well patterned. Did you get them from a breeder?

4. bantamenace

bantamenace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Tasmania
    Thanks so much for answering! My husband and I are very new to chickens, they are ruling us at the moment. We did buy from a breeder but then we saw a picture of a Sussex and thought they looked similar. Thanks

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Cool. Wyandottes are a good breed to begin with, most of the time they are calm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by