Sussex stoped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beck77, Oct 19, 2009.

1. beck77

beck77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Cedar Bluff Va
    My babies have stoped laying they are a 1 and 1/2 years old and shve stoped laying can anyone help

2. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Probably molting due to the reduced light levels this time of year. My dominiques are molting. Fortunately, I have new hens from spring that will be taking over.
    It's a good idea to get new every year to take over during the older hen's molting time. Of course, this means you need to rotate your stock out every year or you'll have too many. This would be hard if you're raising them as pets. In that case, you'll need to accept the time of year when egg production stops... or add lights, but that shortens their life span.

3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Possibly going through a molt? It is pretty normal to take a break from laying during a molt. Search on molt or check the learning page.

4. beck77

beck77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Cedar Bluff Va
    how long will it take they have not layed an 6 weeks

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    It could be a moult in additoin to a broody situation.....Ours like to go broody Have you seen anyone just sitting (even with out an egg in the nest box)?....Also, please consider putting a light on to extend the daylight hours...It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to see an effect of the light but it surely helps!

You can break the broody by putting them in a cage with wire bottom with a fan on if it's not cold enough where you are and it literally brings the hen's temp down and they stop being broody.

Good luck and have a blessed evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by