1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sussex X dominque ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tad, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    anybody have a picture of what a sussex X dominque would look like?

Ron burgandy and las gallinas de san diego are starting to feel the romance of the palais pullet... and if the gals get broody I am wondering what the chillins would look like!!

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,
    How are you doing?

I really like Sussex. What colour are yours? Guessing by the name Burgandy are they reds or speckled? What gene do they have at the E-locus?
    I've never seen a Dominque but I read they are slate coloured (& cuckoo). How do they get the slate? Is it Ml &/or other eumelanising genes on e+ or eb.....something like that? If so the Co from the Sussex would probably be noticeable in the chicks, wouldn't it?

As to what the cross would look like I expect your guess would be as good as mine.

Best wishes
    Krys

3. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    Ron burgandy is the dominque male, the sussex are red with white speckles, hatchery grade not show quality.

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, maybe you'll post a piccy or two if they hatch a few:D.

How do they get the slate colour in the dominques?

What colour down do your Speckled Sussex show at hatch? The only ones I've seen in this country have been e+.

Good luck & best wishes.

5. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    [​IMG]

here is the result, not bad and they have grown really well not quite 2 months here

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Pretty birds.

7. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I have 12 that are the size in the picture and another 20 that are 21 days younger, my sussex hens are going thru molt right now and egg production is waaaaaaayyy off, in a month or so when its back on I will do another hatch in the hovabator and then shut it down for a while (maybe) I am running out of room

8. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    [​IMG]

I am very pleased with the turnout thus far, I have some cuckoo marans that I bought for a friends son, I will keep one of those roos and cross it with the hens I keep out of this batch,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by