1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by matilda1, Oct 15, 2012.

1. matilda1

matilda1 New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    Looking for light, silver or coronation eggs or rooster.
    Thanks

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi Matilda! [​IMG]
    There is a National Breed Club for Sussex. The American Sussex Association (website) . As well as several good threads on the breed here at BYC. Look for Lights that are winning at the shows. For best foundation stock, look for these colors that have Not been crossed amongst themselves. It will make life a lot easier for you to breed to type ( all important in Sussex) if you don't have to worry about off-colored birds because someone was crossing the colors. Here's a classic book on the breed I really enjoyed reading:
    The Sussex fowl (1920)
    Author: Sharpe, S. C
    http://archive.org/details/cu31924003091398
    And sometimes one is not only crossing color genes but gene alleles as well. For instance, Light Sussex is eWh based. Silver Sussex is ER Birchen based. So crossing them complicates things beyond just color consdierations. I know you haven't even mentioned wanting to cross any colors. Just thoght I would mention this in passing.
    Best Regards,
    karen in western PA, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by