Sustainable feed project (Feeding Ducks,Chickens, and Rabbits)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BarredBuff, Oct 26, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    My sustainable feed project should be interesting. Im gonna make silage from the clover, timothy etc. from around the yard. Any advice on making that? Feed it to the rabbits, ducks and chickens. Then supplement corn to everyone (from the garden btw, I am going to intercrop 6 rows of corn with beans). This spring I plan to start earthworms so there is some protein for the ducks and chickens. How often can they be fed worms? I also plan on growing lots of sunflowers somewhere for more protein. This winter I am going to keep a record of how much feed we go thru from November to March. Just to see how much everyone consumes. And my chickens forage wonderfully when out all day long, that feeder isnt touched when they forage . Im also gonna supplement the poultry with foodscraps. What do you think?

2. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    I would not make silage. Let the grasses naturally dry and store as hay. worms are fine but need special worms, plain old earthworms will die off. the corn and free range will supply sufficient protien. Sunflowers are good. I would still provide manufactured layer feed and all the rest supplements that. With all those supplements they won't eat much of the bought feed.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:Why not silage? What kind of worms do you suggest? Now in the winter, I dont free range. What would some other homegrowns sources of protein be? Im trying to get away from commercial feeds.

4. heritagehabitatfarms

heritagehabitatfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    meal worms... i just started growing them for my quail... seams supper easy so far lol... i want to try the black soldier fly grubs 2...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by