Suzie Cute.... *I will miss you :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bt03, Jun 14, 2011.

1. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    About 17 weeks ago I got chicks that I mistakenly thought were Cornish hens, but I was very wrong I got Cornish X hens and didn't know a thing about them (only have a year with chickens). I was very dumb about them, I lost 2 only a few weeks in because I was not aware that they could not have food all day like my other chicks without eating themselves to death. That is when I figured out what they really were. After leaning as much as possible about them I am just getting the hang of them. I won't cull a chicken unless there is something wrong even though I have been told in many ways to cull the cornish x. It's not their fault I got the wrong chicken and so they will live like all of my other pets, as long and as happy as possible. I have been told that I only have at the very most 2 years before their heat will give out but that is ok with me, I will make it the best happiest 2 years that I possible can.

Now that you have the back story I have to tell you about my absolute favorite chicken ever in the whole world. Suzie Cute. She makes me laugh like no other can. She loves to talk to me and coo at me and I help her onto her "perch" (2x4 on the ground) every night because she is still a chicken but is to heavy to do normal chicken things. She is about 8 pounds maybe a bit more and we are trying to control her weight and now that the dry heat has set in she doesn't eat as much so maybe she will shed a couple of pounds soon. She is the sweetest thing and will come running if you say her name. She gets picked on a lot so she has to be alone a lot of the time or with the baby ducks because they are the only ones that can seem to be nice and not pick her feathers. I'm thinking about dying her all blue so she can live with everyone else. Ok maybe not but I hear blue is not a favorite to pick at for chickens. This morning she was in such a hurry to get to me she almost fell over while she was running!!! Poor thing was in such a hurry to get to me that she started running out of her coop and was waddling so bad she had to extend her wings to keep balance while running. I love that silly chicken. She is always grateful for the ice water I give her when I go home for my lunch break and after work. A bobcat came in and killed 4 ducks and somehow passed my Suzie over. I cried about my ducks but I truly don't think I would ever get over losing Suzie. She is the best pet I have ever had and even though I know she won't be with me near as long as I'd like, she is a part of me and I will lover her for the rest of my days.

My Suzie Cute doing her thing

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love those meatie personalities. It is a shame they don't live longer.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Thanks for the sweet story. [​IMG]

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Awww! [​IMG] Suzie Cute is cute! [​IMG]
    I am sorry to hear about your ducks [​IMG]

5. bt03

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    I lost my Suzie yesterday. We think it was just after she had laid an egg [​IMG] I knew it was going to happen but I didn't want it to be so soon. The over 100* temperatures we have had for over a month now and no rain were just to much for her little heart to handle. I'm going to miss her running out of her coop every time I walk by it. She had her own special coop and mini roost because she was a special chicken. I'll miss the booook and the funny look I got every time I wet her so that she could cool down a little bit and the way she loved meal worms from the bag but not your hand, and how she knew which bucket was feed and which one was just duck treats. She had the funniest waddle/run and she saved it for running to me and no one else. I'll never get another meatie because I don't want my heart broken again but I sure did love my chunky butt...

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm sorry [​IMG] It sounds like you gave her a great life.

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I am so sorry about Suzie. I worry about my hens in this heat. Especially when they are in the nesting boxes laying in this heat. Yesterday one of mine was in the nest box laying for 2 hrs between noon and 2:30. The coop is hot. I have a fan blowing air in and a vent fan blowing hot air out but it is still hot. I went out every 30 min to check on her. We need some rain desperalty. Again so sorry about Suzie. I know you loved her.[​IMG]

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    So sorry about Suzie passing. She obviously felt very loved considering the effort it took her to waddle after you. You gave her a good life even though it was brief.

10. bt03

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Thank you for the kind replies. I miss her a lot but I know she had a good life and really enjoyed her time here with me. She was my accidental chicken but the best accident that could have happened to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by