Svart Hona - Has anyone ever seen feathers like this?!?!

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by MAGICchickens, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MAGICchickens

MAGICchickens New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    Well, I've been breeding svart honas for about a year and a half. I've got quite a few birds but in this latest hatch we have this one bird whose feathers are coming in in a way I've never seen before… Has anyone ever experienced something like this? I thought they might have just been damaged but at this point I can see there is something strange going on. She's got some bald spots and none of the fibers of the feather seem to stick together. I've always thought of this breed as the most death metal of chickens but this one really takes the cake.

Any knowledge to lay on me?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    For sure looks like some frizzle gene is in it??? Did you get your breeders or eggs from a GOOD place?

3. MAGICchickens

MAGICchickens New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    I was thinking that, they really seem reputable.
    I asked them about it and they said that 100% for sure was svart hona.
    I supposed it could just be a genetic freak.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well what ever you do----don't breed it----well you can if you want "genetic freaks" as you stated. LOL

5. Kindercare

Kindercare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    You got the wooly gene. The Greenfire line of Svarthonas occasionally produces wooly chickens. Not quite frizzle or silkie. Search "wooly" on the forums and you'll see lots of posts. There is also a recessive rumplesss gene in the line somewhere too. I have had one rumplesss chick hatch and so have others I've talked to

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by