1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Svart Hona with crazy beak

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kaywould, Jun 26, 2016.

1. kaywould

kaywould Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    South Carolina
    I have this Svart Hona rooster with a deformed upper beak. Neither parent had this. I was curious what others thought of the potential that this is something he would pass on to his offspring or not. He just started crowing so I'm sure he will want to start mating soon, if my other rooster lets him. I am going back and forth on re-homing him to take him out of my breeding stock. Only have a small flock of Svart Hona and only one other rooster.

[​IMG]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In most instances I have seen it is not genetically based. I have rad a rash of it because some free-range hens decided to fight with stags / cockerels contained in pens. You can treat by trimming the lower mandible back to just behind the upper. Sometimes repeated treatments needed, sometimes not, I have an older rooster (seven years old) that required such treatment when he was about 1 but no repeats needed.

Beaks can also be damaged in brooder where they wedge tip into crevices and twist. Having fine wire present may also be a factor.

3. kaywould

Nov 17, 2014
    South Carolina
    Thanks. I didn't notice it when it was younger so maybe it is something that happened from a fight or something. I wasn't sure if it was something that could be passed on so I had listed it for sale locally but I guess I had listed it for too much money for having a messed up beak because nobody showed interest. Maybe I'll just hang on to him after all.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What breed is he?

5. kaywould

Nov 17, 2014
    South Carolina
    Svart Hona aka Swedish Black Hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by