Swallon abdomen with fluid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aynur, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Aynur

Aynur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    One of my chicken , Bella was walking like penguin March 18, 2017. Not much eating. After some research, I thought it is egg binding problem. I gave her spa treatment with epsom salt, extra calcium, checked if the egg is stuck at the exit with lubricant, that was not. I took her nursery. She could poop. Eat some, not much. Her stomach got larger. Next day, the same... Her colors were ok. She stands, just not moving much.
    March 20, 2017 .. brought her to vet. Ultrasound. They see fluid in abdomen . They took 560 cc fluid out. Gave some IV in case of dehydration. Took some blood for blood test. They suspect infection. So we started antibiotic without waiting lab results. Lab results came as she is anemic but white blood cells were normal. Vet was surprise since she was suspecting infection. Now, Vet does not think it is reproductive system neither. Blood count; the protein level came scary low. All combined, she is suspecting liver disease. Since her abdomen is emptied mostly , she walks, eats, drinks that she is not in stress. Still stay in nursery at nights.

Vet suggested holistic liver support like mix of liquid from milk thistle, echinacea, dandelion that I am planning to use when antibiotic is finished.Vet does not think it is contagious to flock.

Any experience, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ascites or fluid in the abdomen can be due to heart failure, liver disease, or from a reproductive disease, such as internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Removing fluid periodically with a 16-18 gauge needle can help to ease the pressure, help pain, and ease labored breathing. There are many threads about ascites that you can read by doing a search at the top of this page.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aynur

Aynur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    Thank you... "Ascites" word new to me. I will search with that... I some how stuck with fluid and swallow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by