Swallowed my pearl earring

That happened years ago to my mother when one of my grand-mother's Tyson chickens ate my Mom's earring. Took the chicken to my great-grandmother where she killed and cut open the chicken and retrieved the earring. (this was before my time, but was told the story) Lesson learned: Do not wear earrings or any other kind of jewelry around your chickens. Shiny things attract chickens attention. They will eat anything they find interesting. In this case, I'm sure you're not going to want to kill your hen- I'm not too sure what to say other than maybe see if grit will help with digesting? Keep your eyes on her to make sure she doesn't start chocking if the earring is lodged in her throat.

My hen jumped up and grabbed my pearl earring out of my ear. I think she swallowed it because I can’t find it anywhere now. I am worried this will hurt her. I am assuming there is nothing to do but wait and see???
I've heard stories of chickens consuming earrings before; they were fine. Gizzard can take care of just about anything. :fl

My hen jumped up and grabbed my pearl earring out of my ear. I think she swallowed it because I can’t find it anywhere now. I am worried this will hurt her. I am assuming there is nothing to do but wait and see???
One of our 5-week pullets snatched a pearl earring from my wife’s ear and swallowed it. We now know about jewelry and chickens. It’s been over 12 hours and the bird is acting normal and eating. It never occurred to me that the pearl could be digested, which is mentioned in this thread. I guess we wait... There’s a lot to learn about these interesting critters. Can you advise how your bird fared?

Back
Top Bottom