Swallowed tongue or Gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brooster, Apr 17, 2009.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Silkie hen found under the coop, completly fine until now, very sudden, weak, eyes closed, discharge from mouth, rails when breathing, trouble breathing, choking actions, moist vent, no tongue visible, this is the second time. Is it gapeworm? What can i do, the poor thing just needs to pass. [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Soory I cant help.. But maybe a bump wil get someones attention... Good Luck

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    We pretty much left her for dead in a pen, she was on her way out. Said a prayer, and in the morning when i turned the corner, i see a silkie bright eyed and ready to go! [​IMG] She laid an egg, it was broken, was it stuck? She still shakes her once in a while, i still need to know if it is gape worm, so i can treat her.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Wow thats awesome that she made it sorry i could'nt help more I don't even know what gapeworm is. She laid a broken egg? Maybe she was strining to get that out [​IMG]...

5. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Why don't you give her a dose of general wormer anyway? A few drops of ivermectin-based pour-on wormer at the back of the neck, and the job is done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by