Swan eggs hatching **PICS**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melissa508, May 7, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I finally have some hatching going on..boy is it slow. I came home last night & found this:

egg 1: [​IMG]
    I moved it to the brooder this morning becuase it wasnt drying off & there was no room for him to stretch out & lay, my bator is full..he/she is resting.

egg 2:[​IMG]
    This one isnt out of the shell just yet.
    **for size comparison- he/she is laying over a muscovy egg**

heres more photos..I have 2 out & 2 more most of the way..and 4 more pipping through the air cells ((fingaz crossed))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bottom one was on the other side of the brooder..which is basically a homemade incubator..he made it over to his littlermate & is cuddling..theyre singing together.I wil post up some video later on today.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    Oh, WOW...........they have such long necks. What kind of swans are they? They're gorgeous. Good job. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How wonderful! Congrats on the hatch. How do you brood them - for how long? When do they get introduced to water, etc?

4. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    cool

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    you do realize you started the "OMG, i need one of those" craze? just look at MP. [​IMG]
    cant wait to see them all fluff

6. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    Miss Prissy.......Are you thinking what I'm thinking? (Hmmm....swans are pretty, I've got a pond, I could hatch swans, I wonder how many people out there want swans, will they get along with geese and ducks, where could I keep them???)

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I do not have a pond up here. Back in Ga we did (18 acres of fresh moving water). I have always been curious about swans. I have read the cygnants can be extremely fragile and need to be introduced almost like putting an animal back in the wild. I have always wanted a pair of black swans.

8. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    A friend of mine has the same type (mute swans) and his remind me of geese personality wise. They get along with his chickens..ect.
    With swans, its all in how you raise them. Some people dont handle their birds alot..just like geese/ducks..the more you handle them, the better personalities they have.
    I can give them a little shallow pool in a couple of days.
    The necks are so long, I can see whay it takes so long to hatch..the necks have no strength. His neck is getting stronger, he lifts his head every few mins & is singing up a storm.

I have 7 more eggs, 3 of them have their head/neck out & are just sleeping. Im guessing the other eggs are the ones laid last, they are just starting to poke through the air cells.

9. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    oh wow!

that is cool!, i have never seen a baby swan,very cute,congrats!

10. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Awww, so cute. Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by