Swan hatrching *day 2* updated pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melissa508, May 8, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Everything so far has gone perfect. 4 of them hatched yesterday, and they spent the entire day resting.

I still have more eggs to hatch, i havent opened the bator, but the one i could see through the window has lots of cracks in it:D

heres what i woke up to today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have been singing all moring- It sounds exactly the same as chicks
    [​IMG]

2. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Beautiful! Are you planning on keeping them?

3. melissa508

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Yes, but i wont be keeping them all

4. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm a landscape designer and was on a project site one day which backed up to a lake. There were two beautiful swans in the water just "doing their own thing". A while later I turned around in time to see one of them coming at me, wings flapping, neck stretched out, etc... I tell you what - THAT is a sight you don't want to see!!! [​IMG]

It was spring so I assumed they had a nest nearby, but I was glad to be able to put a shovel between me and the swan long enough to "encourage" him to leave me alone! I guess it was really the bird who did the encouraging... I left the back yard and he left me alone...

5. melissa508

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I think theyre alot like geese personality wise. I once had a chinese goose, i raised him from 3 days old. he was such a baby, I carried him around in a baby blanket for weeks..lol. he had a great personality, however i was living out of state & didnt know many people.
    when strangers would come to visit, he did not like them & he would go after them the second they turned their back lol

My neibors had an assortment of goose breeds, they never handled them..well I had to care for them while on vacation..let me tell you I was a nervous wreck going into those pens everyday, they would all chase me lol.

Swans are much larger, 4 feet tall with a 7-8 foot wingspan..I wouldnt want one chasing me .

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    White swans do NOT have to have a nest to defend territory from humans or anything else.

You do NOT want to get caught by one. Had one break my nose and almost fracture my hand with those wingbones. (I was their keeper, I fed them, maintained their pond everything - they still beat me when they could catch me.)

Never had a goose do more than "goose" me. Geese I like.

White swans can go hang. I'd rather eat one than look at it - sorry no offense meant.

I like the black swans, they're almost always nice even if you haven't raised them, even seen them become tame by choice from essentially being feral.

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

OMGoodness! They are so beautiful! Congratulations!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    sooo beautiful.

9. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    How on earth did you come across Swan Eggs?

And my I dare ask... how much did you spend, and for how many?

They are so cute! Congrats! [​IMG]

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:. . . sorry, but . . .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by