Swans eating dog food.........................

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by chickenzoo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My Black swans have decided they like the taste of dog food and have been stealing the puppy chow from the puppies. They have even gone as far as to figure out how to work the auto dog feeder and help themselves when ever.... I can't put it up any higher or the dogs can't reach it. [​IMG] they have their own food feeder which is always full, plus treats and such as well as all the nice grass they can eat..... but ever since they decided to start following the puppies around and eating with them out of their bowels, they are now dog food junkies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Put the puppy food inside your house [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:I guess i forgot to say that the food is for all 6 Great Pyrenees Livestock guardian dogs...... they have to have food out 24/7 as they do not eat all at one time. I will build something that the dogs can jump over and hopefully not the swans.....
    I guess I was wondering if anyone else 's swans suddenly developed a taste for dog food.............?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Dog food is better then the feed you are feeding them.It has more nutrients then grain and they get more from dog food.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:Ok, I just was afraid they may get hurt from it......... but they seem to love it,..... between them, the geese and the emu, the dogs have a lot of competition at the feeder.. hehe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by