swans

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by winsome832, Mar 4, 2013.

1. winsome832

winsome832 New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Well we now have two male Swans. Our first swan is Frank, a Royal mute swan. We purchased him in the fall of 2009. He was born that year. Frank stayed at the pond for the following year through till springof 2011. Maybe I should back up a bit. Our intention for owning swans was, they are beautiful and get rid of geese, lol that did not work. Back to the story Spring of 2011 mr and mrs goose came and nested at our pond, so much for getting rid of geese. I did not have the heart to damage eggs, so they had their goslings. While mrs was sitting on the nest Frank and mr hung out through the nesting period. When the babies were born they did not hang quite as much. When the goslings became "teenagers" the geese disappeared. SO DID FRANK! We thought it was a coyote, but there were NO feathers, nothing. Me the sap that I am said NO MORE! I love my critters, don't deal with death very well. Weeks passed and we went on with our lives. We received a call a few weeks later from a farmer friend of ours. He thought he found Frank. Indeed he had. As the "Swan walks" Frank was about 1 1/2 miles from our pond in a wee pond of our neighbors, WITH THE GEESE! So we caught Frank and brought him home. Bedded him in a stall in our barn, and began the frantic search for a buddy. Now we are in the month of May? WELL, this guy saw us coming hook line and sinker!!! He proceeded to tell us that if two same sexed swans are together they will go through the act of mating just as a male and female. Just no babies, females will actually lay eggs, but obviously not fertilized. Hmm, we thought. I went on the internet and searched and searched for that untruth. NOTHING! AND, I believe I had also spoken to someone else and they concurred. So, off to Columbus, OH to pick up Dean. Dean, a POLISH mute is one year younger that Frank. Frank at this time was 2, Dean had been born in the spring of that year, making him one year younger, he still had his grey feathers. They were happy campers, never left each others side, so the dummies that we are were elated with theri newfound friendship, and hoped that they BOTH woud not leave the pond. They did great through the summer fall and winter. Spring came...Frank began chasing Dean, the younger out of the pond, and hanging with MR GOOSE, AGAIN. We managed Franks dominance by making sure before dusk Frank was in one pond and Dean in the other. Spring came and went, they were buddies AGAIN. Fall came, winter all was fine. Now this past week in February, mr goose is back and Dean is not only being chase out of the upper pond but Frank is chasing him ou of the lower pond. So long story, but wanted to explain the behavior and timeline of these two boys. We luckily caught Dean last week and HE, is not in a stall bedded down in the barn. My question. Is Franks behavior normal to hang out with mr goose? If a swan behaves this way is he a little goofy? Basically we are trying to figure out WHO we should let go. Frank royal mute swan, or Dean the Polish mute swan? We have no interest in breeding, that is not our goal. Again, I am a sap. We have snappers and could not handle losing babies to those beasts. BUT, so afraid that there wil be a retreat repeat. We have friends that have had a male Swan on their pond for 15 years. If anyone can give us some solid information. NOT opinion. We would be grateful. Thank you for listening. Kerry

2. wolfwhyte

wolfwhyte Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Obvisouly, swans are not as dumb as most people think they are. Female pairs are less problematic than male pairs. Cobs are what male swans are called and are constantly in search of a mate. Often when cobs mature they will fight when kept in pairs. It's their nature in the wild, so it is often hard to break this in captivity. You can try to pair up the less agressive with a new cob but there is no way to know if the new swan will be agressive too. It's best to keep pens (female swans) in pairs rather then cobs to avoid such problems if you do not want cygnets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by