Swap Meets...Quarantine..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sparks, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I am planning to go to a couple of swap meets soon. If I buy stock from two different breeders or vendors does that mean I need two different areas for quarantining these animals? Seems like a silly question but it will make a difference in what I buy. And how far away should they be kept apart?Thank you, Sparks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, in theory, quarantine should have the birds out of range enough that not even their dander can be cross contaminated. Some disease can carry though air/clothes so that can make it difficult. Maybe others have some better ideas.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would say it depends on what you are willing to lose or treat. The reason for quarentine is so that if the new birds have something you don't pass it on to the rest of the flock. So it's a case of do you want to chance putting the new birds together and risk having to treat or lose them all or do you want to keep them separate so that if there is a problem with one batch it's only limited to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by