Swapping duck eggs for other items?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 26, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My cousin, who lives in San Diego, swaps chicken eggs for other items at a local farmers market. Apparently, such opportunities exist across the country? Anyone else heard of such opportunities? We live in Seattle area and suddenly have far too many duck eggs for us to eat, bake, freeze.....

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    It's called bartering. I do it here in Tennessee too. I barter chicken or duck eggs for goats milk soap or goat cheese. Or chickens for fresh pork and beef. We do it alot where I live. Where I live its a small community so lots of people do bartering.

Laurie

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Oh yeah. Lots of opportunities for bartering small items. Food items are especially easy to barter with. Everybody eats, so it isn't difficult to find someone who needs what you've got to trade.

4. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I posted on craigslist looking for hay or straw or something to help winterize my duck house, offered eggs for someones left overs, just hoping first off to get rid excess eggs and second save a few bucks. I would rather have spent the money on treats and not straw. I had someone email me, concerned that I wasn't able to take care of my ducks...
    I only gave the ad a couple days before I went and bought straw. I put the little jerks in the chicken pen at night where a heat lamp is when it gets ridiculously cold. They have plenty of straw covering their insulated dog house, and the little jerks have learned how to come in the house via doggie door.
    I appreciated the concern...but there was nothing in the ad implying we can't afford to take care of them.

[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:alot of people have no idea the concept of bartering.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Bartering is great! Only problem is people rarely have anything that I want or need. [​IMG]

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Someone local to me is bartering beaded items for hay. She had pictures of some quite lovely items like beaded wallets and purses, beaded dog and cat collars, bracelets, things like that for hay. I don't know how she did but her stuff was nice.

Laurie

8. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I barter my extra duck eggs for goats milk also.. When ducks aren't laying I barter baked goods for the goats milk ( cookies, brownies, etc) as she doesn't have time to bake...

9. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:i wish I could get in to an arrangement like that. sounds good.

10. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    So far I haven't had any luck, but will keep trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by