Swapping eggs with chicks.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenweirdo1, Apr 17, 2017.

1. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    My White Cochins just went broody she has been sitting about 8 eggs for 2 days. I ordered chicks online and they should be here in 2 weeks. There is 14 chicks coming. Can i swap the eggs with the chicks when the chicks come in? Is 14 chicks too many to give to one hen? If not than when should i swap them? I've never had a hen go broody and raise chicks so any information would be helpful i know nothing on this subject. Thanks ahead of time.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Maybe, maybe not---its Just according to the hen----she might accept them or might start pecking them hard and kill some if you do not remove. You will just have to try and see if you want. Hope the chicks are 1 day or so old or they might not accept her.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    PD is right - the younger the chicks, the better. I have had good luck with swapping them out at night. I keep the chicks in the house until it's dark and the hen is settled in for the night. Then I take them out there with as little light and fuss as possible, slip in a chick, take the egg out, repeat until all chicks are under her. If she's a large fowl, she should be able to cover them all. Baby chicks will tunnel under the mama, and poke out in all kinds of strange places. I've seen babies sticking out from under the hen's chest, wings, back feathers... They should be fine.

4. chickenweirdo1

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Thanks for your help! How about the feeding situation do i only put chicks starter in the brooder or chick starter and layer pellets for mom?

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    My moms get chick starter---a higher protein feed.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can put in an all flock grower/starter for both chicks and mom.

7. chickenweirdo1

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    One more question. Should i isolate the hen now and take her out of the coop, or wait until the chicks get here to move her?

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Is there a way you can separate her within the coop? Integration seems a bit easier if you can. I would move her to where you want her before the chicks come so she's all settled in by then.

9. chickenweirdo1

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    I moved her last night. She didn't even skip a beat she looks like she's going to be a great mom. She is a first time mom though so we we'll see when the chicks get here. Thank you guys for all the help.

1 person likes this.
  10. chickenweirdo1

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    So my hen ended up only lasting 6 days. I'm pretty sad, i was looking forward to watching her raise the chicks. Maybe next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by