1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Swapping Hens with Rooster - Will it Stress them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy chook, Jun 25, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I have a frizzle rooster with 3 hens and I would like to change 2 of the hens that he is with for two other girls.
    Their pens are side by side so they all see each other every day but I just wondered if that will stress them?

[​IMG]

2. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Probably. Any little change can and will stress chickens. However, they will get over it in a few days. Just keep an eye on them to make sure that everything goes well.

I just switched a few chickens out this evening. Put two hens in a different pen with a lone hen who was broody but just weaned her babies. Put a hen who was being overly aggressive in a pen with older, more aggressive hens. (That'll fix her!) I figured that tonight was a good time to do it because I'll be able to keep an eye on them over the weekend.

Good luck!

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Oh I did that too. I have a BR and a mixed hen and they've been running my poor games ragged. Now their in with some big girls and they're the ones on the roost! Bad girls!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I have added the two that I want with the rooster, Just opened the door today and they wondered in, NO aggression from anyone, just wandering around scratching and eating.

The rooster was a bit excited and just had to jump on them but no bullying or hurting anyone. I will let the other girls back out to the big pen later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by