Swapping roos-fertility Q **Update** Day 18!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Can anyone answer me this? When hens are moved from one rooster to another, approximately how long will they be laying eggs that were fertilised by the first rooster? Assuming both roosters are equally amorous and equally fertile, that is.

I know hens can lay fertile eggs for quite a while after they've been taken away from a rooster, but what about when you swap them straight from one roo to another. Would there be one specific time when they would stop laying eggs fertilised by the first one and start laying eggs fertilised by the second one? Or would there be a crossover period when they would be laying eggs that could have been fertilised by either roo?

I'm debating incubating the first eggs laid (about five days ago) by some White Leghorns I was recently given. They came from a breeding place so I have the possibility of getting some more leghorn chicks. I also have the possibility that my own randy roo has been busy with them already, and I might end up with some strange looking half Cuckoo Marans babies...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read that it can be anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks. I'm not certain though; I'll wait for the eggsperts to chime in. [​IMG]

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I waited for about a month to make sure. They stay fertilized for 3-4 weeks.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I wait 3-4 weeks to be sure.

5. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks for the answers everyone. I figured if it can take as long as 3-4 weeks then I've got a pretty good chance that the eggs I was thinking of incubating WEREN'T fertilised by my own roo. Which is what I was hoping for. So I went ahead and popped them in my bator.

I'm on day 6 now, with six white leghorn eggs and one very dark and speckly cuckoo marans egg. Here's hoping I'll get a few pure bred chicks and not some strange looking mutts!

I really like the Leghorn hens so far. They're pretty small but they've been knocking out some absolutely massive eggs. They're laying like mad which is quite funny cause the reason they were given to me for free was because they're a few years old and supposedly not laying as well as they used to. Makes me wonder what they used to lay like. Two a day maybe? LOL!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I wait 3-4 weeks after switching roosters.

7. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well that's me on day 18 now and just locked down the bator with three White Leghorn eggs looking good.

The other four eggs didn't develop at all so I removed them on day 10.

Here's hoping for a successful hatch. Fingers crossed!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by