Swarm capture

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by darkmatter, Sep 16, 2012.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I'd been without a beehive for a while, when manna from heaven flew into my backyard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once they're settled in and building comb, I'll move the hive to a stand in a better location.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A swarm of bees in May is worth a stack of hay, a swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon, a swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly. Don't know about a swarm of bees in Sept. Depending upon where you live, they only have about a month or so to build up pollen and honey reserves for winter. Keep an eye on how they are doing and feed if necessary. That's a good sized swarm. Hopefully they will build up enough reserves to get through the winter.

3. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Yeah, I never saw a Swarm this late either. They showed up a day or so after a gully-washer of a rain storm, perhaps they were forced to evacuate! I have been feeding sugar water, they are building comb like mad. I have my doubts that they'll make it through the winter, but I'll give them my best.

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    We had a wet spring/early summer here in NJ and vegetation is thick. Right now goldenrd is heavily in bloom and the bees are working it heavily. It is a great source of pollen and nectar. When the bees are workng it, you can smell the hives from a half mile away. If you have a source like this, they just may make it. By the size of that swarm it may very well have been an entire colony that was forced to move because of a hive 'catastrophe'. I'll hope for an extended Indian Summer for your colony.

5. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    OH my Goodness!!! With nothing but a collapsable laundry tote and no veil?! You da man!!!

Congrats, I hope they make it for you!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Rezia

Rezia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Amazing! Wonderful job!
    Rezia

8. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    We've had quite a few really late swarms this year here in SW Virginia. As long as they are drawing comb and bringing in/taking in food, hopefully they will make it. I've used a wooden hivetop feeder for winter feedings of weak/small hives with good success. I like the laundry hamper to collect the swarm - terrific idea!

9. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Oh wow!! I would have been stung by every single bee at least twice :/

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nope. That's the marvel of swarms. The bees leave their original home with bellies filled with honey and plans for a 'new beginning'. They don't want to sting because their death would weaken a colony that need all it's workers to survive. (And if one did sting, it would only be once. Their stingers are barbed and rip from the body when utilized.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by