swarm of possoms

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ga_goat, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I have a habit of going out and checking my chicken pens before going to bed . So last nite I went out and seen eyes from a distance , went back in the house and got my trusty 22 , and was able to 2 out of 3 possoms that were around the pens . They havn't been able to get in for a while sense I put concrete under all the doors and gates but I have been seeing digging and tracks . I think I hit the 3rd one but it got away .
    Over the last year they have gotten about 20 of my birds including 5 BCM's that I had just got , and 8 amerconna that I had hatched here .

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Set a couple of live traps~~that'll get em' when you're sleeping.

Took me about a year, but I believe I've got every opposum and raccoon within the valley

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I think they travel in families. When our dog gets one, he'll bring in another every day for a week. One day I took his opossum away, and he had another before I'd gotten back inside good!

4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi,glad you got them.Do you know of a bait besides cat food,tuna,etc.?I don't want to attract cats.I have a few outsiders and one of mine that is over 11 yrs. old is mostly feral.I seldom see her but she is around.Thanks,Rebel

5. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Quote:Hi,glad you got them.Do you know of a bait besides cat food,tuna,etc.?I don't want to attract cats.I have a few outsiders and one of mine that is over 11 yrs. old is mostly feral.I seldom see her but she is around.Thanks,Rebel

Marshmellows. Those little miniature ones? They work really well because you can put a trail of them leading into the trap and they don't fill up the possum or raccoon. We have caught countless amounts of racoons and possums with them. An egg sometimes works but nowhere near as good as mini marshmallows

6. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I keep 2 walkin traps set year round but seldom bait them , I have them right up against the fence and back to back so they
    catch some that walk around the pen looking for a way in . When I do bait them ,, like now ,, I use sardiens or canned cat food.
    Not worried about catching cats they are preditors also .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by