Swedish breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BobLoblaw, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    River Falls, WI
    I'm brand spanking new to the forums, but I have a million questions to ask. One of the first is this: does anyone know if there is a way to acquire any of the Swedish breeds? I've read through the posts and found lists of Swedish Chickens, but have yet to see anyone selling any? My wife is extremely nostalgic and is Swedish. I'd assume that the Swedish chicken breeds would be cold-hardy and I'm in Western WI, so that would work just fine.

Thanks.

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to byc.

I know of swedish black hens. I also know of Norwegian Jaerhorns, Scandanavian, even though, not swedish.

My family heritage is swedish, as your wife will be able to tell by my user id.

Good luck![​IMG]

3. BobLoblaw

Mar 11, 2009
    River Falls, WI
    Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply! oddly enough, my wife's name is also Jennifer, last name Johannson. Would you know of a hatchery which sells these hens? I'd love to surprise her with a couple chicks.

We will be traveling to Stockholm sometime in the near future, but chicken smuggling isn't so easy in this post-911 world (so I've heard [​IMG])

-steven

4. Solsken Farm

Hi Steven

No, don't chicken smuggling. Well aren't you a sweet husband. That is REALLY nice. Use the search function and see what you come up with here. I know some folks have Jaerhorns here.

5. BobLoblaw

Mar 11, 2009
    River Falls, WI
    Thanks, I'll search around, and by the way... I just looked at your page and you have a beautiful farm! I just finished reading a book called A Barn in New England: Making a Home on 3 Acres , it gave me a nice vision of what the landscape in New England is like.

Beautiful pictures of your place, I'm jealous to say the least.

Thanks again.

6. Solsken Farm

Hey thanks, and I promise, up close it could you some fixing up. But we love it. Post if you find something. What a nice surprise. Some girls want diamonds, I'd be happy with some simple baby chicks. If your wife is anything like me, she'll be thrilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by