~*~Swedish Crested Duck Hatching Eggs~*~ (Please read before bidding)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by StevenW., Mar 26, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    ATTN: I ONLY TAKE MONEY ORDER THROUGH MAIL.

I will send as many eggs as my hens lay they will be the freshest and I will send as many as possible.
    The crest is formed from a mass of fatty tissue that emerges through a gap in the cranium.( skull) From this, feathers grow. Crests vary from centrally placed, full crests, rather like powder puffs, to knobbly protuberances with just a few feathers; or the occasional earring when it has 'slipped'. The crested gene can be bred into any breed except Muscovy as one parent crested will breed a percentage of crested offspring .All crested seldom breed successfully but if they do produce better stock. If using a crested female with a large crest watch as the drake uses this as to ' assist ' mating and she can get injured easily. The tuft of feathers on the head, which occasionally appears, having been recognized as a point of attraction, selected and bred for of the off spring many will be plain headed but carry the crested gene so a crested drake will turn any breed crested.
    The crest gene is an incompletely dominant one. ie, if an chick receives a double dose of the gene &endash; one from each parent (homozygous) it will die in the shell. If only one of the parents passes it on (heterozygous) the resulting hatches will be :- 25% will not hatch, 25% will not have crests and 50% will have crests. If a crested heterozygous bird is crossed with an un-crested one, the resulting hatch should be 50% crested and 50% plain. So, as you can see, breeding Crested ducks is challenging and not recommended for beginners; also if the crest is so large as to intefere with normal eating and mating etc it would need to be 'trimmed' to allow the duck a normal life.

http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/crested.htm Where I got the information at.

Here are some pictures [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taken a couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When we got a bunch of snow and ice this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When they were younger.

Thank you for looking! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  2. carmeninthecountry

carmeninthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    oh i want some egggs sooo bad ... i only have one crested {Reverend} my hubby named her...but anyway and we love her and want more and more...lol..so i am interested....

3. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I will have eggs for sale all year as long as the hens keep laying. [​IMG]

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    NPIP? AI tested?

5. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:No, Sorry [​IMG]

6. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    how do we know what quanity we are bidding on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by