Swedish Duck Owners...can you please tell me

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitkatbahr, Apr 26, 2009.

1. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Hi everybody,

Sorry for so many questions today! LOL

Ok, so I picked up my four "girls" and put pic up of them a couple of threads down, to determine what breed they are. The guy said Pekin/Muscovy, but I believe Pekin/Swedish and some others said that too.

Now, as I was researching about Swedish ducks, I read that the males have green beaks? Is that true? Cause if it is, I think I have two males and two females? I wanted all females to go with my two Muscovy drakes. Here is a close up of their heads. Can anyone tell me if you think I have males, females, or both? Thank you so much. I am worried if any are males that when I put them in with the Muscovies in a few days, that they will try and kill the little guys. I really need to know what I have. Thanks!!!!

Head shots (silver with green beaks and black with blackish beaks)

[​IMG]

Here is a body shot of them...two silver ones (I guess they are called blue? two black ones. They have white bibs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    While they are called Blue Swedish, they also come in Black, Silver, and Splashed color patterns.
    The The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy says: the drake's head is a dark blue with a greenish bill while the duck's head and bill are the same blue slate color of the body
    But I dont know how true that is

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Do they quack loudly?

The best way to tell (before the drakes get their drake feathers) is if they quack really loudly, they are girls - if they make noises like Donald Duck they are boys (not really a quack, more of a whispery rasping quack-like sound.)

I tried to sex my swedish by bills and feet - and it didn't work. Now that they make noise a lot, I can tell who's who.

If they are quiet females, just try to pick one up and hold it - it'll quack and let ya know if it's a girl [​IMG]

meri

4. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    LOL! Well, they all seem to quack pretty loud, especially when startled. Tomorrow I will pick each one up and see how they are individually!

Thanks.
    Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by