Swedish Flower and double laced Barnevelder roosters in western NC

One Lucky Momma

Chicken Kisser
Apr 25, 2020
Marshall, NC
One Swedish Flower rooster and three double laced Barnevelder roosters, about 26 weeks. Currently running with small mixed flock, free ranging, crowing. Not lap birds, but do come quickly for food :D

For full story, see thread “My neighbors’s wife left him (and the chickens)”.
05037E87-64FF-4D0F-8FC0-E83C070D7969.jpeg
4B3FA16B-5CB0-46F8-AAEA-2FB3A30F1D0E.jpeg

Last edited:

Thank you so much for suggesting this. It’s great information, and interesting. I’m going to share it, though I don’t know if he can afford the upkeep, plus he would not be inclined to manage them separately. EVERYBODY free ranges.

But I’ve noticed something interesting about these birds. The three Barnevelder boys, who are the low guys in the rooster hierarchy, crow from time to time but I’ve never seen them attempt to mount a hen. Maybe the other guys have warned them not to? And, they tend to hang together, which is lovely to watch.

Thank you so much for suggesting this. It’s great information, and interesting. I’m going to share it, though I don’t know if he can afford the upkeep, plus he would not be inclined to manage them separately. EVERYBODY free ranges.

But I’ve noticed something interesting about these birds. The three Barnevelder boys, who are the low guys in the rooster hierarchy, crow from time to time but I’ve never seen them attempt to mount a hen. Maybe the other guys have warned them not to? And, they tend to hang together, which is lovely to watch.
I free ranged my boys, just on different days than the girls.
It’s probably because they’re young, and, as you said, low in the pecking order. They are very pretty cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom